Author Topic: Racor Question  (Read 1768 times)

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
Racor Question
« on: July 15, 2007, 05:52:41 PM »
Ok, now that racor is installed- Looks like gas has filed the see thru bowl and is golden yellowish in color.

I assume this is normal.

I imagine the water is more dense then the fuel and will sink/blob on the bottom and that is when you drain it?

How much water is needed in their to be visible?

Anything else I should know about it's functionality?
I do keep a spare filter with wrench on boat 24/7.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Racor Question
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 06:17:31 PM »
When you let the boat sit for a while, you will see the gas and water separate from each other.  YOU can't miss it.  If there is no separation, then there is no water in the fuel.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 07:08:08 PM »
Hi Mboy,

I agree with Nick.

One thing ... some places put additives (besides ethanol) in their fuel. You can tell because the fuel looks reddish.

The marina I am at ahs this stuff called Valvatech marine additive, supposedly for octance boost.

I don't think it does anything but I wanted to make you aware.

Do you use Startron or MDR (E-zorb) as an additive?

I used Startron the past 2 Summers and now switched to MDR.

If there is water, you will see it ... no need to change the filter because it separates the water. I am on a hyper-aggressive schedule of changing every 10 hrs on the engine. You should only have to change it seasonally.

I wish I could pick one fuel vendor and stick to them. However, that is not practical for me.

If I could, I would pick a place that sells a lot of fuel and has above ground, frequently serviced tanks.

Ed

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 07:39:15 PM »
I do not add any additives. I was thinking of PRI-G, but I am not convinced yet adding anything will be worth it (I could be wrong tho).

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 08:37:21 PM »
Just an FYI about an extra filter.  My system is exposed.  That is, it is outside of any compartment and therefore is susceptable to damage by an errant sinker/fisherman etc.  The extra filter that I carry is a normal solid filter that is threaded the same as the filter with the see-thru bowl.  If my bowl or filter gets damaged somehow I will be able to remove the filter/bowl assembly and continue on my way without a tow.  I can then replace whatever needs replacing before my next trip.

With the ability to drain the bowl I personally feel there would be no need to replace that filter while on the water.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 08:42:25 PM »
Good adice. Maybe I should get an extra bowl (metal) to go with it.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-