Author Topic: New Boater  (Read 3458 times)

Offline kutztownwayne

• 2012 trophy 220
New Boater
« on: February 09, 2011, 08:10:19 PM »
I am from PA and will have a seasonal campsite at the old scrubbie pines along 72 just before LBI from April to November.

I bought my very first fishing boat back in December, a used 20 footer in great shape and a new outboard.  I have three teen boys I adopted over past few years and fishing is our new family passion!

Anyway, we hope to do lots of fishing on BArnegat Bay as soon as the time is right in the spring  But, it's a new boat and other than my boaters safety course and reading a few books I have no experience.  I don't want to make a fool of myself or bother others.

I was wondering if there are any groups in the area of Barnegat or any shops that might have a seasoned or retired boating veteran who might be willing to go out with me in March or April for a learning run around the bay and the basics of bay fishing?  I would pay  a few dollars for their time and experience sharing.  I am figuring better learn from someone who knows what theya re doing than do too much trial and error on my own.

Anyway if anyone has a suggestions I would sure appreciate it
Early to bed…early to rise…fish all day…make up lies.

To fish is human,

to throw back is divine.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: New Boater
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 08:28:22 PM »
Welcome to the site..  I think you came to the right place.  Not only do I fish out of Barnegat. I have a place at scrubbie also ;D

How long have you been there?  maybe we know each other already t^

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 08:47:14 PM »
Welcome to the site I am sure the southern boys will help you out TT^

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 08:55:53 PM »
I can help you with the Do's and Don'ts of barnegat bay...  even take a trip with you..  Catching fish... 5hrug
I'm still working on that myself ;D

Offline Kevin

• Sponsor
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 09:11:51 PM »
Wayne, at around march to may The bay is flooded with nice sized blues.. Near the toms river.. both inlets.. you name it they are there! Throw some metal and your set! Good luck.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 09:45:28 PM »
I can help you with the Do's and Don'ts of barnegat bay...  even take a trip with you..  Catching fish... 5hrug
I'm still working on that myself ;D

A big don't...DON"T FISH WITH HOTROD UNLESS YOU WANT TO CATCH THE SKUNK.  ;D
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 09:55:24 PM »
 ;D

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 05:15:14 AM »
 Are you going to trailer or get a slip?

Anyone correct me if I am wrong but if you launch around Rt 72 you have a slow ride to get to either inlet. Mostly no wake going north or south from there.

If you are going to trailer it I would suggest you find a marina that would let you park it on their property so you don't have to haul it back and forth. Also the traffic going into LBI can get pretty bad at times.

Use Google Earth you can get a pretty nice view of Barnegat inlet and the bay. Also get yourself a chart. Hope this helps!

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 05:39:06 AM »
Yea.  you don't want to launch on the Island.. 
I'm sure he'll hit Bay ave. public dock

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 03:12:32 PM »
Welcome to the site Wayne. I live in Little Egg Harbor which is about 7 miles south and Great Bay/Little Egg Inlet/Mullica River is our place to fish/cruise and crab.  I am a Sponsor on here and own and operate Task Marine located in Nacote Creek marina  on RT.9 in Port Republic which is a couple of exits [exit 48] south of Manahawkin. We service all outboards, boats and trailers with some of the best prices around. There was some awesome Bass fishing in the fall just 5 minutes from the dock. The marina has slips, park-and-launch and more. Its quiet and prestine down here with some awesome nature to be had away from traffic and the tourist attractions. Were here to help you out any way we can. If you want to learn this area as well, Id be happy to show ya, and watch that HotRod guy, he might want to show ya the Canyon.
Matt

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 05:07:06 PM »
 ;D

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-