Author Topic: A pretty good spring so far.  (Read 1714 times)

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
A pretty good spring so far.
« on: April 29, 2011, 11:43:39 PM »
I personally have not been out that much this year but the guys that are, are beginning to show some pretty nice catches.  By talking to a few B&T's in Ocean County the stripers have been cooperating and the blues are beginning to make their appearance.

By Mothers Day the blues should be in full swing.  If you go into any local bait and tackle shop you will notice that the majority have very few white bucktails left on the hooks.  If you have not stocked up on these beauties Iam sure the guys will restock soon and by all means pick up a bunch of them.

As for the bass your standard fair of clams and bunker are tops on the menu.  I have notices that the ones that are catching are balling up the clams so it is worth trying it this time of year.   Pick up some of that string that stretches and tie a couple of clams on and sit back and get ready.  This does 2 things it allows you to put more bait on the hook that will stay there plus makes for a bigger target for the bass to see and smell.

I am going out this Monday again and I might even try some frozen mullet like last year which amazed me.  I made a different mullet rig and it worked better than any commercially rig I have tried.  I do not use a float.  I use a fish finder rig but with a twist.  Instead of a wire with a double hook I made up mono to a circle hook.  I also made a needle that I put into the mouth and pass it out the anal cavity, attach the loop of the leader and pull it through.  Hook the mullet by the tail and snug it up.  Attach it to the fast clip on the fish finder and your good to go.

It was so deadly last year I can't wait to try it again this year.  I know I am pushing the mullet thing but as long as the bait shop has it I will use it simply because it works.

One thing that I will be getting into more this year is using my fly rod more especially when the blitzes are so close to the shore line like last year. I have tied up s bunch of new flies that I am really excited about.

Fishing this year seems to be slightly better than last year by looking at the numbers.  Now if the weather cooperates it should continue.  I was over at Ortley Beach today and with the storms that were around yesterday the surf was beginning to lay down a bit but the water was a little brown. By this weekend the water should clean up and if we are lucky the surf should calm down to be just right for throwing around 5 oz of lead instead of 8+.

I hope you are able to get out this weekend and the honey do's are not to much that it keeps you off the beaches.  I am shooting for dusk to hit the beaches and try for a few hours before dark. 

Good luck if you make it out.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
Re: A pretty good spring so far.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 09:02:47 AM »
  If you go into any local bait and tackle shop you will notice that the majority have very few white bucktails left on the hooks.  If you have not stocked up on these beauties Iam sure the guys will restock soon and by all means pick up a bunch of them.

If I was marooned on an Island with a rod and reel with a choice of only one lure. I would pick the white bucktail!  ;D

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 12:53:28 PM »
Me too.  I have caught more fish on those things than any other lure.  Tipped with a pink whatever it is deadly.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 11:58:29 PM »
Great info Guys. Go get em. clp t^
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-