Author Topic: first fish of the year  (Read 2298 times)

Offline Tank

• Full Member of the Den
first fish of the year
« on: May 04, 2011, 02:33:49 PM »
Went to Mystic Islands on Sunday arrived to the fishing area at about 7:45a.  Rigged one line with clam and casted it in, then rigged a couple of others with blood worms and clams. I then casted in a deadly dick and looked over to see my first line had a fish on it.  My buddy brought it in and it was a 25in blue.  I casted my lure for the 2nd time and hooked up with a short striper 26in.  So within about 15 min of being there we had 2 fish.  Thought it was going to be an unbeleivable day but didn't have a bite for the next 4 hours.  We then went to longport pier where a guy caught a huge flounder, just a week to early.  We had no luck there so went to the ocean at Longport point where we had no luck again.  Although My Penn Sargus reel did choose to take a swim.  Does anyone know how to thoroughly clean sand and salt from one of these reels?  It is making all kinds of noise and not nearly as smooth as it was.

Offline FishOn

Re: first fish of the year
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 03:01:17 PM »
Good catch...kinda backwards with the blue on clam and the bass on metal but that's how it goes sometimes. Go to penns website and print the schematics for your reel. Completly tear down the reel, clean the sand and old grease out. Put fresh grease on the gears and reel oil on the bearings and rollers and reassemble per the schematic. Take your time and do this over a white towell
Who are you to judge the life I live? I'm not perfect and I don't have to be! Before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 03:04:23 PM »
 whs

Congrats on your first fish of the year!  clp
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 03:12:47 PM »
Congrats  t^ clp

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 04:59:05 PM »
congrats on your fish. Not to put a damper on things but as I said before those Penn Sargus reels aren't worth it. If you stay with Penn get a slammer or battle.

Offline FishOn

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 07:00:53 PM »
congrats on your fish. Not to put a damper on things but as I said before those Penn Sargus reels aren't worth it. If you stay with Penn get a slammer or battle.

I have all of the above reels. The battle is nice but not as easy to tear down as the slammer. I fish with my old 550ss and 650ss the most though. I can tear down and reassemble them with one hand and my eyes closed
Who are you to judge the life I live? I'm not perfect and I don't have to be! Before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley

Offline Scott G.

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 07:34:29 AM »
 t^ slt t^
Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 08:01:34 AM »
 t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-