Author Topic: Reel Class Mother's Day Sunday 5/8 Cod SLAMFEST!  (Read 1626 times)

Offline Reel Class

• Sponsor
    • Reel Class website
Reel Class Mother's Day Sunday 5/8 Cod SLAMFEST!
« on: May 08, 2011, 08:45:18 PM »
Had Socks, Dave W, Ryan H, and Scott aboard today for an open boat trip. With the lack of bass bites yesterday I asked the guys last night if they would like to do a little change of pace and go offshore to target cod, they obliged, and this morning off we went.

First drop was on a high spot in about 120' and we had some nice life right away with some cod in mixed sizes coming up, as well as a few pout and one jumbo sea raven all making it to the box. We also boated a pollock of 12" as well. After about a half hour and a shift around the piece, we got covered up by dogfish.

When the wind dropped out, we went up on the drift and had a slow pick.
A move a few miles south yielded no bites, while a few drifts in a debris field of a wreck got us a few more cod both shorts and keepers.

We then moved to another rockpile/debris field and finally found what we were looking for. Drifts over the piece were yielding mostly keeper cod in the 23-27" range, as well as a few ling. By noon time, the fishing started getting flat-out ridiculous, we had 2-4 rods hooked up at a time with keeper cod flying over the rails! Mike and I were gaffing fish almost constantly as the guys were rebaiting and getting the rigs back down.

We easily boated 75 codfish, if not more, and KEPT 40 (give or take a couple) as the 125 qt. cooler was completely filled to the brim!! All the fish we kept were over 23" and the biggest was about 12#. We also had 6 ling (mostly jumbos), 6 pout, and the fat sloppy sea raven which made it to the fillet table as well.

What a day... I would've never dreamed we'd be catching cod, quality cod like this in NJ waters 5 years ago - this was a day for the books and we could've easily kept catching until dark if we wanted. Ryan, Dave, and Socks all estimated they had at least 20 cod each with most of them being over 21", while Scott came on late and bagged another 10 while Mike and I each put a few in as well. This is one for the books and let's hope these codfish keep coming back!!!

Capt Allen
Reel Class Charters
Point Pleasant, NJ
www.reelclassfishing.com
(201)248-5281

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
Re: Reel Class Mother's Day Sunday 5/8 Cod SLAMFEST!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 09:31:48 PM »
 t^ t^ t^

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 12:02:23 AM »
Great day guys. t^
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Spearfish

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 08:18:10 AM »
Awesome.

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 09:46:18 AM »
Nice trip Allen!   clp clp
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 09:48:26 AM »
I dub thee the NJ Codfather  slt  clp  t^

Nice haul !!!!

Makes up for Saturday.

Offline Scott G.

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 10:42:55 AM »
 t^ clp t^ clp t^
Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-