Author Topic: Braid  (Read 4348 times)

Offline njadam

Braid
« on: July 28, 2007, 01:47:04 PM »
can any one reccomend a good braid in the 20 to 25 lb class...also what color do you reccomend for fluke, bluefish, stipers, weakfish, and seabass? Or is the color all personal preferance. Thanks

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Braid
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 01:50:02 PM »
Power Pro, Green
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline njadam

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 01:58:36 PM »
thank you

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 02:22:57 PM »
Defiantly, Power Pro Green. 

You might want to think about going to 30# test only because it will give you a higher weight ratio but it has the same diameter as 12# mono.  That is what I use on all my reels now.

Great stuff and because it has a waxy coating it casts like you can't imagine.

The only problem with braid is that if migth inbed itself into the line on the reel; the fix is to set your drag much more loose than mono.

I usually cast and pull on the line with the rod set in the sand spike (rod holder on boat) and pull on the line as I would with mono when I feel good with it I give it a 1/4 turn to make it even a little more loose.

Happy Catching

Paul

I have had no trouble since.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline hareball

• Super Hero Member
    • waterwolves
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 08:03:22 PM »
my next braid will be a high visibility. I have really bad eyesight and it's hard for me to see but after fishing next to people with the high vis I can really see where thier lines are going.
There is water at the bottom of the ocean- David Byrne

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 01:26:01 AM »
Hi Bob,

You might want to try installing a black light next to a spreader for night fishing.  Most of the colored line, especially the yellow seems to glow in the dark really cool.

Happy Fishing

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 03:31:06 PM »
Fireline.  TT^ Probably most under-rated line out there.  30# test breaks at around 60#.

Hi-Vis green seems to break closer to it's rating IMHO.  Pink, if you can find it, is good too.

Tuff Line XP hi-vis yellow is good.  Identical IMHO to Power Pro except a bit less expensive and never heard of any QC prolems which have plagued PP from time to time.  I've had two visibly bad spools of powerpro, one with visible weak spots throughout the spool and other with globs of extra material fused to it. Did have others that were fine, but have switched all my reels to either Fireline or Tufline XP and no more issues at all.

Personally, I tend to match the strength of my braid to the mono I would have used.  That way you get the true benefits of braid/superlines, not just matching approximate diameters.  If you used to use 20# mono, no sense in going over 20# braid.  You'll get the strength with a much thinner line, which is one of the major points of braid/superlines.

Too many people are using heavy braid to make up for it's thinness and overloading their gear, ie 40# class gear and putting 50#+ braid on it.  Sure it's easier to see and manage, but really losing alot of it's benefits to begin with.

Just spooled up my go to fluke spiining reels with 10# Fireline. t^ t^
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 03:35:11 PM »
I also favor the tuff line XP or Suffix braid over Power Pro.l Every time I give power pro another chance, I am dissapointed in quality vs other brands.

I use braid almost 100% of the time now.

Def need to be careful on using 30-60lb braid on rods rated for much lighter line. Always the chance of breaking your rod if drag is set to strong because you have line stronger then rod is rated to handle.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 03:37:02 PM by mboy »

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-