Author Topic: Fluking Ambrose 06/30/11  (Read 1043 times)

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
Fluking Ambrose 06/30/11
« on: July 01, 2011, 03:24:43 PM »
On my way home from the Ling trip on Wed. got call from my son-in-law inviting me out for a trip on his boat Thurs. AM. What the heck, work can wait. ;D
Launched the boat at Laurel Hill Park on the Hackensack River in Secaucus and of we went down the Hackensack River into Newark Bay, down the Arthur Kill, and rounded Staten Island to go under the Verrazano. Very cool to see all of the old factories and bridges along the way as well as the shipping terminals.
Plan A was to check out a spot he worked earlier this season with success for some stripers. Found no bunker so we worked the spot with some soft lures and plugs.
No bass at home and got bit off by a huge bluefish at the boat. No more action after that so we decided to try for some fluke in Ambrose channel just east of the VN bridge in NY waters.
Nasty current and could have used some heavier jigs. Worked one dead stick with squid and gulp and the jig rods with jigs dressed with gulp and a teaser above with whole squid with an extra stinger hook.
Managed to catch 8 shorts. The three largest at 20.5” and 18.5 “
How do these fish know to stay out of NJ  5hrug
Fun day out.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Online IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Fluking Ambrose 06/30/11
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 07:39:30 AM »
Great effort Paul-e. In a shared area like that you would think they could make the regs to pertain to where you land the fish.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 08:30:04 AM »
Nice long scenic ride. I always liked the area where you fluked later in the summer.

Also instead of heading out under the VZ think about running across NY Bay over to the Bay Ridge flats and fish the top of the flat or the channels edges of Buttermilk Channel.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 05:02:17 PM »
 t^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 10:30:06 AM »
Cool trip and a good effort Paule t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-