Author Topic: July 3 Fluke Report  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
July 3 Fluke Report
« on: July 03, 2011, 08:02:27 PM »
Jason & I were 2 of @25 fares aboard the Misty Morn today. Conditions were less than ideal for the first few hours as we had the last half of the incoming tide against a SW wind. Started off fishing the Ward Bend area of the Reach Channel with more of a slide than a drift. I started off with a 1.5 ounce white Spro tipped with a 4" GULP new penny shrimp with a standout out hooked tipped with a 3" GULP new penny shrimp-this set up as been very productive for me so far this summer. Jason originally started using a bait rig then changed to what I refer to as a trailer rig-which is basically having a bucktail off a dropper loop with about 14" on the tag end to a snelled hook. He tipped both with a GULP new penny shrimp Pretty sure there wasn't a single bite on this drift. Second drift yielded a keeper in the bow. Made a move east to just west of the Prince's Bay area. Worked from here to the east of Prince's Bay most of the day. Fishing slowly improved as the conditions did. However, I didn't have a single bite in close to 2 hours. Jason removed the shrimp and replaced them with 4" GULP chartreuse swimming minnows. Wasn't long after that he put a #5er on in the net. Then he followed up with a short. The few fish that were caught I did notice came with the chartreuse GULP. I took the shrimp off my rig and replaced them with the swimming minnow and in short order banged out a keeper and short. However, I went ice cold again as the fluke just didn't want the bucktail/teaser combo today. By now Jason was using a bait rig but just used GULP on the teaser & hook. He started to pull in some shorts so I bit the bullet and used the same rig on my bait rod. I was able to add another keeper and a short. last few drifts were back in the area we started the day at. I was determined to get at least 1 bite on the GULP shrimp on my bucktail rig. Things weren't looking good but I was able to scratch out another short on the rig and just as 3 toots of the horn were blown I had 1 other bite on it. In the meantime, Jason boxed a #3 with a few minutes left. Jason's #5 should of/would of won the pool if I wasn't to cheap, as I didn't enter us in it today  fcp  smk  rgmn  fcp . Final tally was Jason 2 keepers out of 9 and I had 2 keepers out of 5. High hook had 3. Pool winner was @#3.5 - 4. Boat total was @16 keepers.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 08:17:42 PM by Skolmann »

Offline Salty Dog

• Super Hero Member
Re: July 3 Fluke Report
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 09:43:50 PM »
Excellent,Informative report .Thank you . chrz

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 09:51:25 PM »
nice day. you always catch the pool fish when you don't enter haha

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 09:57:15 PM »
nice report
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 07:46:23 AM »
Great report Doc, Bet Jason let you hear about not entering the pool  :'(  ;D
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 08:57:04 AM »
Bet Jason let you hear about not entering the pool  :'(  ;D

He actually had no real problem with it as in his words....he said, "He knows he caught a pool winner, I know he caught he pool winner. He knows he caught a nice fish, I know he caught a nice fish-that's all that really matters". I was the one beating myself up for a while. Although I'm sure I'll hear about it next winter when the annual  argument of who the better angler is.

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 01:25:30 PM »
Nice day out and report. t^
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 02:54:47 PM »
 whs

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-