Author Topic: FB 7/9-7/10 Fluke  (Read 2426 times)

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
FB 7/9-7/10 Fluke
« on: July 11, 2011, 10:32:38 PM »
Left Keansburg Sat.  at 0700 with Fluke pullers Dibbs and Ross.. on what was likely Ross's last chance at Fluke for the season... as on Sunday, he kicked off his year selling peaches on his pick-ur-own fruit farm (Strawberry Hill Farm in Chesterfield, NJ  t^ ).. We again started in the bay, hitting spots around the Navy pier and the Hook.. Had near constant action on short Fluke, but only a few keepers for our efforts.. ran up the river for fuel at the slack, and then headed outside to fish the incoming.. Fished areas of structure in 30- 50' with a pretty steady pick as soon as a drift started.. Ross made his last day till after apple season count.. with his usual hot hand, he accounted for the lion's share of the day's 9 keeper fluke, including a beautiful 6+ lber near the end of the day.. Both Dibbs and I caught fish all day, but added only a few to the box...  Sunday, we sadly left  Ross to his peaches, and after a couple last minute bails, it ended up being just Dibbs and I leaving the dock at 0700.. Seeing the slick conditions already in the bay, we opted to seek out a breeze on the ocean.. Ran south of the hook, and fished hard until about 3..not much of drift most of the day..  despite that we had a fairly steady pick of fluke, and seabass, although mostly short. ..     tragedy struck around mid-day as Dibbs, slipping on some fresh slime, went to brace himself on the gunwale and snapped his favorite fluke stick.. fcp I sold him the  GL3 Loomis  back in '94 when I was working at Sportsmens Center.  Having bested countless Fluke , Stripers, and any other critter unfortunate enough to swim across it's path,   it had come to be called "Excaliber" .. very sad  :'( Shortly after I noticed something drifting alongside the boat that I first thought was a baby turtle,  ::)  but it turned out to be a latex glove.. closer inspection revealed that it seemed to be giving us "the finger"  as it bobbed along.. it was then closely followed by the classic "Coney Island Whitefish" running the same school..we figured that was enough signs for us, and we headed for the barn with our 3 fluke to about 21" , and a few nice C-biscuits.. for what we hoped was an early escape up the parkway.. well the omens proved true, and we missed the close of the K-burg flood gate by about 2 minutes .  rgmn  having jettisoned our leftover bait at sea,  we  spent an extra couple hours feeding Italian food to the flies , while we waited for the re-opening and contemplated the mysterious Finger... Still a nice couple days out with the boys   t^  chrz

Ross's fattie:

Dibbs and Rossie workin it like a well oiled machine  t^

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
Re: FB 7/9-7/10 Fluke
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 10:37:45 PM »
Very colorful reporting Mark and a couple eventful days on the water....felt like I was there with ya.... TT^ TT^

Tuff luck on the busted rod though...

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 07:51:44 AM »
Nice report and Pics Mark, Sorry about the Loomis :'( :'(,   We saw a "Coney Island Whitefish" too around the Shrews rocks. I think the stock on them is replenished and the fishing season may re-open on them soon. ;D ;D
    I also found a latex glove in a Stripers stomach this spring. :P
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 09:08:59 AM »
 t^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 10:52:52 AM »
Good report Mark. Nice to see you fishing the Jersey side again.  TT^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 07:43:25 PM »
TBeard,

Shame about the "G".  nosmly  Not a bad couple of days and some great looking fluke in anyones book!   t^

Offline Salty Dog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 09:00:55 PM »
Now he has reason to buy a new stick . chrz

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 10:01:25 AM »
good job Mark and crew, way to box up da meat.

Offline Dibbs

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 08:14:05 PM »
I'm already hunting high and low for its replacement.  If you have a Loomis GL3 902X (currently extinct) you may be able to save a life   thud

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-