Author Topic: 7/20 ocean /bay combo  (Read 1105 times)

Offline Capt. Birch

• Sponsor
    • Fishguts Charters
7/20 ocean /bay combo
« on: July 21, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »
Yesterday I had Tony,Carman, and Steve out for their 3 rd annual combo trip. Just like everybody else that fished yesterday we set off in pea soup fog and zero viz. Safety is paramount on all trips so even through I have radar and have run many trips on electronics only we eased our way down the bay at a cautious speed. Our main concern aways being the boats running on GPS only at high speeds. This trip was no different as 3 CLOWNS in  small center console showed up as an over taking vessel on my radar screen. Its nice to be within 100 yards of Barnegat Light house in zero viz and have a boat come up your stern at 25 knots with no singals or horns. I even ran up over the bar to try and put some distance between my vessel and these reckless morons. I am not sure if they were following my prop wash but they still came way to close before heading into the mist at a high rate of speed. Once we cleared the inlet and good a little room from any targets we set our sites on some seabass. The guys enjoyed great action but seemed to have a major problem with empty hooks ;D. LOTS of fat fish for the next trip rgmn.. After boxing 2 dozen keeper seabass to 2.6lbs and a fat ling we headed back to the bay for some light tackle fluking. Big disappoint  on the fluke. The best we could mangage was a slow pick with a few here and there. The 3 anglers finish with 14 shorts released and a couple of searobins before we called it a day. I would have to say that yesterday was the largest area of dense fog I have ever run in before. From the time I left Seaside at 630 until I came back into the bay at 11am it was pea soup.

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
Re: 7/20 ocean /bay combo
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 10:49:33 PM »
Nice report Capt.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: 7/20 ocean /bay combo
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 11:12:38 PM »
I feel your pain.. took me I bet an hour to hit the inlet and a whole pack of butts.  lucky we were the only nuts out that early...
 oh and "seagulls can't walk on water" ;D

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-