Author Topic: Mid Season Report  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Captain Dave Wittenborn

• Sponsor
    • Capt Daves Charters
Mid Season Report
« on: August 08, 2011, 07:39:11 PM »
The water has warmed into the mid seventies and the ocean fluking is finally under way.  This is my favorite time of the year to fish.  The fluke are now moving out of the bays and onto the ocean lumps.  We had a great weekend fishing around the reefs and had a steady pick of fluke and sea bass.  The sea bass fishery is generally slow from July to early August due to the fact that the fish are spawning.  The fish are still there, however, they have other things on their minds.  Luckily the fluke fishing this weekend was outstanding.  As we get closer towards the end of the month and into September, I will move the trips away from the reef areas and closer to the lumps off the beach.  Every year, the fish pile up on the lumps in about 30 to 50 ft of water and this makes for a very fun fishery.  We have missed this the last few years because the state has cut the fluke season short before the fluke made their migration to the lump area off our beaches.  This year, the season goes until the end of September and we will once again have the opportunity to target this historic fishery.

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
Re: Mid Season Report
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 09:46:30 PM »
 chrz slt thank you for that Capt. how i have missed that september run..Cant wait to head out there and get me mines........
Why does it Matter to you? cause I could careless.........

Offline Baitwaster

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 08:48:45 AM »
I'm gonna give Thursday a try. Prolly hit the Rutgers cans and the GSS. When you say the lumps are you referring to the Brant Beach lumps?? chrz

Offline Captain Dave Wittenborn

• Sponsor
    • Capt Daves Charters
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 07:10:16 AM »
That is correct.  The Brant Beach lumps are a great spot in September.  Also, the "Mast" area off of Surf City is another great spot. 

FYI-  I believe you are referring to the large yellow buoys just short of the LE Reef as the Rutgers Buoys.  These buoys actually have nothing to do with Rutgers.  They are owned and maintained by a company called Ocean Power Technologies.  They are trying to create energy from the up and down motion of the waves.  Pretty cool and you can check out their web site by googling the name.  Anyway, that is a great spot.  We pulled a 10.5 pounder out of there a few years back.  I think the fact that the draggers can't get there gear in there make it a quality fishing spot. Good luck!!

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 12:21:35 PM »
Good luck Capt. and thanks for the info. t^
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline JFalasco97

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 09:56:02 AM »
Looking forward to getting out this weekend  t^
RIP - 2008 Hydra Sports 3300

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-