Author Topic: Best Method for Snag and Drop  (Read 9697 times)

Offline kutztownwayne

• 2012 trophy 220
Best Method for Snag and Drop
« on: October 19, 2011, 10:43:52 AM »
Looking for advise from the seasoned guys on here.

When snagging bunker for Stripers is it better to.........

Snag with your treble hook and allow the snagged bunker to drop down on that treble for the stripers?

or

Snag and retreive the bunker and switch them over to another rod with a fish finder type rig and drop that?

???
Early to bed…early to rise…fish all day…make up lies.

To fish is human,

to throw back is divine.

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
Re: Best Method for Snag and Drop
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 10:48:30 AM »
We use the second pole,this way i can still snag bunker and have a liveline to chrz
Why does it Matter to you? cause I could careless.........

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 12:13:20 PM »
Fishing from the shore, I'll snag and drop with the treble hook. On the boat, I like to fill up the livewell first, this way I have live bait for the rest of the day to use elsewhere. If there are fish working the bunker pod,often you will get hit while reeling in the snagged fish. If it comes in bitten in half by a Bluefish, drop it to the bottom, as often the Stripers are below or behind the Blues feeding on the scraps on the bottom. <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 12:33:04 PM »
 whs
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 01:51:14 PM »
You can definitely make a case for either, but I've caught more fish leaving the bait on the snag hook.  I find that the process of reeling in a bait and rehooking it drains much of the energy and struggle out of it.  A freshly spooked bait oozing with pheremones and fighting madly draws in stripers better than a tired one.  of course, this method operates on the assumption that there is no shortage of bunker to be snagged, and that you are expecting to catch a fish that you plan to keep.  If either of these is not the case, I'd definitely put some in the baitwell, at which point you may as well re-hook them on a j- or circle-hook.   
GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

Offline kutztownwayne

• 2012 trophy 220
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 01:55:14 PM »
Great insight, this helps alot.  Thanks so much!
Early to bed…early to rise…fish all day…make up lies.

To fish is human,

to throw back is divine.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 02:34:06 PM »
I have used both methods and found they both work. I do prefer reeling them in and putting them on another outfit with a circle hook and sending them back out. There are times I will us a fishfinder rig to get them to/near the bottom. There are also times that they are sent back out with no weight at all and letting them find their own place in the water column. Every situation is different and you have to adapt to the situation.

If you are in a catch and release mode definitely go with the cranking the bunker in and put on another outfit, preferably with a circle hook. It is at times difficult unhooking a bass impaled on a large treble without doing much damage to the fish.

Good luck with whatever method you choose.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 02:54:36 PM »
 whs t^

Offline bossross

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 09:29:35 PM »
One afternoon last spring my buddy Rick and I were on a huge pod of "boiling bunker" off of Mantoloking. We were snagging and letting the bunker drop on the treble.

These guys on a boat within shouting distance (imagine that on a Sunday afternoon during the spring run!!) were telling us to put the bunker on circle hooks that the bass "didn't like the trebles."

As they were reeling their bunkers up and rehooking them, Rick and I were landing fish.

I'm sure rehooking on traditional set ups has it's merits, but like everything else, it depends on the situation.

We have caught a lot of bass by just snagging and letting it drop.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 09:42:54 PM »
The Snag and Leave worked well for us. Picture the bass following around the school of bunker.. just like any fish... they don't want to expend too much energy for a meal..  As soon as they see a weak link..  It becomes their meal..  

Now running and chasing them... you are left with retrieving your bunker and re hooking..  the livelier the better.  Use nothing smaller than a 10/0 Snag Hook.

Then.. there are the days, they want the bluefish waste... hanging under them and eating their scraps..

I was once told by a great fisherman that fishes Barnegat.. That "90% of the time there are always bass around bunker.. it's their food source and they stay with it, but what they want on any given day is the Million Dollar Question" t^
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 09:45:06 PM by Hotrod »

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-