Author Topic: marine fuel  (Read 4019 times)

Offline wreckfisher11

• Full Member of the Den
  • 99 Angler 240
marine fuel
« on: October 12, 2011, 09:41:11 PM »
hey guys have a question about fuel over the winter, i just about topoff  my tank, add marine sta-bil, and its good to go at spring launch, a buddy of mine said with this new fuel its best to run it almost dry and to just leave enough fuel to get me to the pump in spring, any help would be great... thanksjavascript:void(0);

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
Re: marine fuel
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 09:58:07 PM »
 I really don't pay to much attention to how much fuel I have over the winter. What ever is in there stays. I just add stabilizer. In the spring before I start it I siphon out at least 1 gallon. What ever water,dirt settled on the bottom is gone.

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 09:59:08 PM »
Welcome !
Ask nine Captains and you will get ten answers.
There are a few different thoughts on this subject and if you search some threads and sites you will then be able to give the eleventh thought. chrz
However, checking with marine Mechanics they will suggest fill er up to 80%- 90% add your gas treatments and additives and burn it off quickly in the Spring.The longer gas is stored the more it breaks down.
Others will say run er empty and fill er up in the Spring with nice fresh fuel.They have no problems
Give some thought to condensation, rust and fuel breakdown too.
Some say take a coin and toss it up and do the old heads and tails routine... fcp
Hope that clears it up. :headscra: clp

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 11:01:45 PM »
PeggyLee is right. It is a matter of opinion as to what is the best. Experts on this will vary with their opinions.  :P
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 11:23:31 PM »
I always leave whatever fuel is left in and stabilize it. But I never run the carbs try I leave the treated fuel in them and in the spring drain them and fire her up the first fill up I always use premium fuel with a carb cleaner. It works for me
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 07:24:33 PM »
keep them filled tight.. it will prevent any moister or condensation that may occur in the winter.  Also add your winter fuel stabilizer 
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline NJ Guy

• AKA "Virgina Beach Guy"
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 08:07:55 PM »
keep them filled tight.. it will prevent any moister or condensation that may occur in the winter.  Also add your winter fuel stabilizer 

This is what i do as well cant get water in the tank if your tanks is completely full...and stabilized
270 AmberJack "Sweet Emocean"

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 07:56:45 AM »
 wts   
Why does it Matter to you? cause I could careless.........

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 04:40:37 PM »
This is what we are gonna do this winter....on our last trip im gonna try and use up most of the fuel in the tank. Then im gonna stabil it throw a cap or two of water zorb(cant hurt) and fill it to the top with 89 octane.

Over the winter the space between the fuel and the tank will invite condensation.Will it be enough to contaminate all the gas (probably not) but why take that chance. Fresh gas stabil and waterzorb.

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 04:53:32 PM »
This might answer your question a little better.
 Problems caused by e10/ethanol fuel

Over a short time ethanol fuel begains to break down. As ethanol and other components evaporate,the fuel losesoctane and becomes "stale". This causes hard starts,pinging and engine knock,which robs your engine of power and can cause damage.

#2 Gums rapidly form in the entire fuel system as ethanol fuel ages. However ethanol is also a powerful solvent that strips away and disperse this build up back in the tank as large performance-robbing particles. This leads to clogged filters,injectors,and carburetors.

#3 Ethanol fuel does not produce as much energy as traditional fuels.
 This results in inefficient combustion,decreased performance,reduced throttle responce and poor fuel economy.

You should put an additive in ur fuel every time you fill up.....all season long...... chrz
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 04:54:28 PM by offshore madness »

Offline wreckfisher11

• Full Member of the Den
  • 99 Angler 240
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 07:12:17 PM »
Thanks for all the great info,  hey (offshore madness) when you fill her up for the winter do you use marine fuel or reg  gas from a station, its so much cheaper, but is it ok?????

Offline Bottom Dweller

• FISH HARD OR GET OUT OF THE BOAT
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 07:52:18 PM »
Thats what i'm doin t^
You can't catch'em from the couch. Can ya?

Skipper of the Slowski

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 08:53:04 PM »
I always use gas station gas unless I'm in the water its fine, always use stabil every tank not only does it keep the gas fresh it keeps everything clean, make sure you use marine stabil if you have a 2 stroke because its not as powerful as the regular or ut doesn't have a chemical or something but it keeps the oil gas mixture safe.
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 09:33:32 PM »
Thanks for all the great info,  hey (offshore madness) when you fill her up for the winter do you use marine fuel or reg  gas from a station, its so much cheaper, but is it ok?????

We trailer our boat. I go with sunoco 89 or better or the new wawa on hwy 36 the tanks are brand new there. We only use 89 or better and evry time i fill up I use StarTron Enzyme fuel treatment.

Our motor is a 1996 Mercury 115 and she runs like a champion.

Every 3rd tank i put water zorb about 4 capfulls just in case, it cant hurt. I also take the plugs out every so often and clean them up.

This new fuel could/can cause some problems so a little prevented maintance now, will save u hundreds later..

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 08:30:09 AM »
What I like to do after I treat my fuel for the winter with Sta-Bil, is to run the motor on the muffs to make sure the entire fuel system has received treated fuel. <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 09:58:57 AM »
 whs that to.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-