Author Topic: Pilot - 10/28 Night Striper Run YO!  (Read 2208 times)

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
Pilot - 10/28 Night Striper Run YO!
« on: October 29, 2011, 11:33:53 AM »
The boys were loaded for bear.  Conditions seemed near perfect.  Change of tide, change of venue.  Headed to the VZ with Capt Don Jr, Trevor and Paul. Made good time and marked 'em right away.  Plenty of eels out on 5 rods working bottom and a float off the bottom.  1.5 hr and no touch!  Plan B... back near the SH channel/rips.

Same story.... insane marks!  So here's the real story.... while drifting the channel a cargo ship is making it's way up through the SH into the Reach.   I'm watching water depth, chart, radar and reading 36-44 ft of water. No problem, right?  Plotter/Radar is showing land mass well off my port.  I think I know this area pretty well.  I'm good to go but realize I'm pinched in betweeen the cargo ship and land.  Should be no problem as we watch him pass and I'll slip some more RPMs and head due North.  Donnie calls out hey Jeff, do you have land off your port?  No, I'm good.  Then, Trevor and Don hear a surf jockey.  YO!  "Jeff, you got the beach coming up!"  At that instant, I watched the depth go from 36 to 12 ft in a snap.  Hit the throttle and narrowly missed a near hellish and embarrassing evening. 

Hey look.... I'm the first to admit I'm not thrilled about night fishing, it's tough enough during daylight keeping your crew safe, managing your boat and trying to catch some fish.  No excuse here!  I'm just pointing out the obvious.  Know your electronics but also know their limitations.  The chart is only as good as when it was first mapped and nature has a way of changing the coastline at its will.   

My take away....  Next run during daylight I will mark that protrusion at the point with a line of waypoints/track line so that I'm certain I'm on the outside of it every time!   For me, another learning experience and hope that others don't find themselves in similar situation.  Can't tell you how many times, we've seen boats up on the beach wondering how the heck could that happen??  Enough said.

Till next time and be safe t^

PS On the bass front, check out the marks and not a sniff all night!

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
Re: Pilot - 10/28 Night Striper Run YO!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 11:42:55 AM »
Good effort Capt. t^ That area ur talking about near the tip? not at the tip but right around there? :headscra:
Why does it Matter to you? cause I could careless.........

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 11:49:04 AM »
Your right about those charts Jeff,, The hook has changed drastically in the past 2 seasons.  I saw a well know Head boat on the beach recentally and that boat does the trip everyday.. And the radar does not show low objects like sand when your in tight.. As for the fish, I guess they were tight lipped yesterday. :-\ :-\
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 11:59:31 AM »
Good effort Capt. t^ That area ur talking about near the tip? not at the tip but right around there? :headscra:

Yep heading down the beach from the bug light not at the tip

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 12:04:01 PM »
Yep heading down the beach from the bug light not at the tip
[/quote]

The bay side right? i saw that last time if you go closer it gets to 6-7 ft. I havent seen sand or any thing like that and ive drifted there a few times.
 Ive seen it go from 65 feet to 10 feet in seconds. We have caught fluke there..

First time i saw my screen do that...i thought i was going nuts. nts
Why does it Matter to you? cause I could careless.........

Offline Capt.Tim

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 09:57:01 AM »
The important thing you all got back to port safely clp

Offline Twins n Fins

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 08:43:53 PM »
Glad you n crew made it back safe had a close call at night a few years back! New radar by myself heading back to seawaren watching electronics cut right through the mooring balls on the staten island side by the gazebo scared the sh@&$ out of me but taught me a lesson slow down use your eyes as well as your electronics and plot those courses home in daylight thanks capt

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 09:33:26 PM »
i hear ya capt... I hate fishing the dark..  Anchoring isn't that bad, but drifting sucks when you have to keep more of an eye on your electronics then your fishing pole.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 10:50:13 AM »
nice try and good save.

I have a "DON'T GO THERE!!" waypoint in my plotter right around there too... supposed to be 35'; more like 1'- comes up fast esp. in the dark.

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 12:14:33 PM »
I understand your post Capt Jeff.Always difficult  running at night let alone dealing with shipping lanes,shouls and fast drops.Its enough to have some one change their underwear after a close call.
Glad you worked it out safely Bro. t^

Offline Capt. Don Sr

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 02:09:26 PM »
A little jackie D,would help after that  cfzd  everything turned out okay and everyone went home in good shape,the worst thing  rgmn you got SKUNKED.Better luck next trip.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 05:41:38 PM »
Yea. I'm not into that night time navigation either t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-