Author Topic: Striper Report for 11/7/11-Reel Fun Sportfishing  (Read 1783 times)

Offline ReelFun

• Capt John
Striper Report for 11/7/11-Reel Fun Sportfishing
« on: November 08, 2011, 07:40:39 AM »
Fellow Anglers,

Had the Peter Diamond charter out Monday for an afternoon "Magic Hours" Striped Bass fishing trip which was anything but "magic". Wow.......what a tough day. This is not the fall Striped Bass fishing that I was expecting here in Sandy Hook.

Had all the necessary baits aboard to take on just about any situation, but the Sandy Hook area was totally devoid of Stripers today. Tried clamming Romer, eeling Ambrose Channel, clamming and eeling the Swash area, eeling the Sandy Hook Channel too. All for naught. Boy, what a bust today.

First off, this is turning into a repeat of the last two years........the fall migrating Stripers are bypassing Sandy Hook and showing up down south off Island Beach State Park, Barnegat Inlet area. Why, who knows, but there is a trend developing here that can't be overlooked. Why? I'm sure if you ask 20 or so charter and/or party boat owners, you'll get 20 or so different opinions, but I'll offer mine.

Water quality in the New York Bight area. Over the past couple of years, we've been hit by major flooding storms just around the Labor Day weekend. All that runoff from the streets and the overflowing waste treatment plants has to of had an effect on the water quality in our area. Hurricane Irene had a devastating effect on the Raritan Bay water quality. I know because that's where I fish most often and what I saw after Irene can't be described here. Enough said. The Striped Bass aren't stupid. They'll stay offshore on their migration route from the North and bypass our water system and follow the Mud Hole contour until they find cleaner water and migrating baitfish further to our south....Barnegat for instance. Speaking of baitfish, that's another thing that bailed out of our area when Irene came to us, the millions of baitfish that moved out and started to head south "during" and after Irene.

So that's a theory that I'll offer, right or wrong, but we have to admit there's a very bad trend developing here, especially for people in my line of work as well as the recreational fisherman. I'm keeping my hopes alive though for next years spring Striper run.

Tight Lines,
Capt. John

Offline Reel McCoy

• AKA usd00017
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Striper Report for 11/7/11-Reel Fun Sportfishing
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 07:50:23 AM »
We can all hope that your theory is wrong but I have a feeling you are right on the money.  Good news for the fisherman down south however.
22' Grady-White Reel McCoy II

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 09:11:39 AM »
Yeah man i think you hit it pretty good there Capt. I also fish raritan bay and areas. That irene sure did screw it up.... Nice effort man i did the same this weekend went to all the spots burned 2 tanks of fuel spent money on bait and launching fees.$25.00 a pop now. and got one 3 ft striper and a crappie skate. nosmly nosmly nosmly
Why does it Matter to you? cause I could careless.........

Offline Scott G.

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 12:22:54 PM »
I agree Capt. I have friends down south and they are killing the Bass from Barnegat Light to Brant Beach....Loaded with bait fish and Bass. fcp
Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime.

Offline Capt. Don Sr

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 03:54:46 PM »
You are right on Capt John,no birds,no bait fish,no stripers. rgmn

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 09:12:06 PM »
Im agreeing on the lack of baitfish John...that is definately noticable on the finder....however i am still reading alot of fish on that same finder as well...and these are my wiggly striper marks that i love to see. Even with the lack of baitfish, there should be no reason they wont hit the eels or clams presented to them. We still have our resident fish which i believe are the ones we are intermittantly catching now and what we are marking as well.  Im stumped as to why these fish have the lockjaw. The lack of bait definately defines the lack of birds working and also the lack of bluefish in the area.
Even the albies never materialized this year for the most part.....that may be because of the water quality and freshwater runoff as well.
As you...im  :headscra:
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-