Author Topic: Tipping Mates  (Read 3688 times)

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
Tipping Mates
« on: August 11, 2007, 04:46:50 PM »
Well thurs I took the boy on a trip on The Miss Avalon II. I caught the winner and won a nice pot of $90. There were two mates on the boat. One cut bait and the other took the money for the pool. Once we got fishing they both shared chores equally. I'm sure one is higher than the other- the bait cutter was just a kid and the other was older. The older guy filleted my flounder for me (and he did an excellent job). On the way back in the capt did the whole thank you hope you had fun speech and don't feel free to tip your mates. No problem but how much? Being that I won the pot I thought I should do better than average. Not knowing what average is, I thought 10% of the pot might be nice( $90 pot-$9 tip). I handed it to the one who cleaned my fish- mainly because he was the one I walked past. What is the tipping protocol?
I think I could be a really good people person if wasn't for the people.

I'm not catching any more fish, but I'm starting to learn why I'm not catching any more fish.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Tipping Mates
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 04:55:20 PM »
Good Question Greg t^

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 04:55:31 PM »
Usually I'll tip anywhere from 15-20% of whatever the fare is.

If I win the pool and it is under $100, I'll take my fare out and give the mate(s) the rest.

If the pool is over $100, then I'll spilt it 50-50 with the mate(s).

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 05:07:49 PM »
Wow.  thats awfully generous . but that doesn't sound like the standard t^

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 05:57:26 PM »
Most boats were $35 for adults - $25 for kids. On Miss Avalon the total was $59 for me and the kid. Children being under 12 I guess. 50/50 does seem awfully generous. Is there a standard? What if you're not the pool winner but you had a nice catch? What if you caught nothing? Do we need a committee to settle this?

I'm not catching any more fish, but I'm starting to learn why I'm not catching any more fish.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 06:14:09 PM »
my opinion is your tip for service.. good service gets good tip, excellent service gets an excellent tip...  poor service....  so on and so forth
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline hareball

• Super Hero Member
    • waterwolves
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 06:51:44 PM »
I give a $20 minimum on a bluefish trip

on a fluke trip i'll give $10-$20 depending on how many times I yell for a net.

on an inshore sea bass trip $10-$20 and offshore overnight sea bass trip i'll give $40-$60.
There is water at the bottom of the ocean- David Byrne

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 06:57:47 PM »
Hi All,

What Skolmann said!

Thanks,

Capt. Ed

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 06:58:07 PM »
Nobody even yelled for a net. We just pulled em over the side.

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 08:11:14 PM »
15-20 bucks if you won the pool it should have been a little more ,they cleaned your fish also

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 09:04:46 PM »
Yea.  15-20% sounds fare t^

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 09:19:02 PM »
One thing I forgot to mention is that when I fish on a party baot that I've never fished before (especially with my son)--I tip the mate before we leave the slip. Now some may say that the mate once he gets the $$ wont provide any service-but I find just the opposite to be true.

BTW, my son actually wins good number of pools himself. When he does, I make sure he tips the mates well and he gets to keep his fare for himself.

Offline Capt. Mike

• Super Hero Member
    • Reel Time Sport Fishing
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 09:42:13 PM »
I will always tip a little up front, usually about 20% or so, when they come to collect fare and pool money. This should help to keep them honest. End of trip I will tip again especially if the service warranted. FYI this is a seasonal job for these guys and the tips are their primary or in most instances their only compensation. The mates usually work hard and long hours some days having to split tips with way tomany mates to customer ratio. As far as the pool goes I split that evenly with the guys I go fishing with and then I tip the mates about double what I would have normally tipped them. The boats we go on the mates are very happy with my method and always happy to see us. Good tipping goes along way, you will usually get extra perks and attention. We are defiantly on a first name basis with these guys and we all have a good time. Bottom line with tip, food, ice, bait, fare, pool, and what ever else you may spend for the trip I am almost certain it is cheaper than having your own boat going out that distance and fishing without any worries of always keeping a safe look out.  TT^

Offline gregman1069

• Just two guys fishin!
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 10:30:36 PM »
Sounds like a good system Mike. I did notice that a couple of the guys were on a first name basis with the mates and yelling back and forth having a good old time. Would like to get to that point someday. Of course, I'd like to have my own boat too. Just enough to putt around the bays and maybe venture past the inlet just a bit. I'll try to remember your method next time I'm out though.

Offline hareball

• Super Hero Member
    • waterwolves
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 10:38:46 PM »
just don't get to friendly...one of the mates likes to come over and bite my line when I have a fish on!! all in good fun TT^
There is water at the bottom of the ocean- David Byrne

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 11:45:52 PM »
Greg,

I would be like anywhere else you tip, depends on the service and what was done for you and how you felt about the trip.

When I go on a party boat I would have a minimum tip of $10 if no fish cleaning or outstanding service was done, and have gone up to $20 for good service and fish cleaning. As far as the pool I would tip the mates 1/3 of the winnings.

Might seem generous to some, but I remember how it was when I was mating and you busted your buns and got nooda. Just my inside perspective ;D for what its worth ;)

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 09:11:40 PM »
Also, don't forget to tip the mates when the fishing isn't so good.  They still work their butts off, before, during and after the trip.  Not their fault the catching was slow. 
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-