Author Topic: Charts  (Read 2940 times)

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
Charts
« on: November 10, 2011, 03:12:51 PM »
What charts do you all suggest having for general inshore fishing (<20nm)? I have GPS plotter but, I am sure the charts are better, specifically to do homework with to find structure, etc? I enjoy bottom fishing so, if there are charts made that are better for that I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Fred

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Charts
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 05:22:22 PM »
It is always good to have a paper chart on board in case of failure of your chart plotter. A paper chart at home is also a good idea for planning your trips, especially for bottom fishing. You can choose several wrecks/rock piles to target within a short distance of each other. Very useful for when you find another boat already anchored on your original destination.
There are several good paper charts out there, Captain Segull's is one that comes to mind.
http://mdnautical.com/captainsegull.htm 

As explained in the link below, your chart plotter derived it's information from a paper chart...

http://blog.marinerslearningsystem.com/2011/03/electronic-navigation-cartography-raster-vs-vector/#more-427

If you do a lot of bottom fishing on NJ's artificial reefs you can use the charts provided by the state for the artificial reef program. You can down load them on line.

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/artreefguide09.htm
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 08:39:31 AM »
 whs  
I prefer the laminated Captian Seagull's Sportfishing Chart series, they are loaded with useful infromation for the fisherman including highlighted fishing spots, named wrecks/reefs/natursal structure/contours with numbers, fuel docks,launch ramps,pumpouts,restaurants etc. I have some onboard,(put them in a chart tube,they do not take up much room) as well as a set in my office to reference while planning new adventures. You can never have too many spots/numbers stored in your GPS.

Here is a useful link for on-line viewing of NOAA charts free. http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/OnLineViewer.html

<'((((><
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 08:54:05 AM by Fishin Dude »
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 11:29:35 AM »
Thanks guys. I looked at the Captain Seaguls charts online but, they don't seem to include a large portion of NJ, unless I am missing something. I guess my next question would be is how to figure out GPS fixes using the chart itself.....

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 12:44:01 PM »
If a chart were to cover the entire coast of NJ it would have to be extremely large for it to show any type of detail. You need to find a chart for the area you will be fishing/boating. If the area you fish/boat encompasses a fairly large area you may need to get two charts that cover the overlap between the areas.

To figure out GPS fixes on the chart itself you will need to place a straight edge on your point of interest and have the straight edge go to the side of the chart. You will find numbers there. That is the Latitude (north/south). Copy the number that is on the chart at the straight edge. Next, place the straight edge on your point of interest and align it so it hits the top/bottom of the chart. The number there is the Longitude (east/west). The latitude for our area (above the equator) is North and the number gets higher the further north you go as you are going away from the equator, which is 0 degrees latitude. The Longitude for us is West and will go down the further offshore you head. You will be heading closer to the Prime Meridian, which is 0 degrees longitude.

These two numbers will give you the GPS fix (N and W) that you can put into your GPS. You will not get an exact fix, but you will be close enough to be in the general area of the wreck you are seeking.

I hope I didn't confuse you as much as I just confused myself.  TT^

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 06:39:37 PM »
All is good info, Joe. I am a paramedic on a helicopter so, I understand "area charts". I was only saying that I didn't see the area on the Captain Seagul website that I was looking for. I will look again though.

Thanks for the basic GPS coordinate review. I cannot wait until next year. I'm happy I got the boat this year but, it would've been better if I had it earlier in the year.

Thanks again!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 07:58:36 PM »
What area are you looking for?

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 10:11:45 PM »
Sandy Hook and Manasquan Inlet areas.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 11:24:09 PM »
Perhaps you can use the NOAA charts. Check out the New York Harbor chart here.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12327.shtml

And this one for Sea Girt to Little Egg inlet

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 07:10:14 AM »
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 07:39:07 PM »
Great. Thanks again for the information. As soon as I settle down from a busy weekend I will be loading up the "shopping cart" with charts.

Fred

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 09:38:59 AM »
Captian Seagull's charts have GPS numbers on all of the wrecks,ramps etc. <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-