Author Topic: NJ Fluke Fishing  (Read 2819 times)

Offline Capt. Ed

NJ Fluke Fishing
« on: July 24, 2007, 02:47:56 PM »
Hi All,

So you have been reading the reports about good NJ Fluke fishing and you are wondering, "Did I miss it?"

The answer is, "No Way!"

Although the shortened season will truncate one of the most productive parts of the season, The Fall run, you have a lot to look forward to up to the close of the season on September 10, 2007.

Right now, up and down the coast, you can still catch nice Fluke in the bays, rivers and estuaries, although their is evidence that the fish are staging to move out to the ocean in preparation of their offshore migration for the Winter.

Please click "Read more" for the entire article ...

For those fishing from land, your best bet is to fish at inlet jetties and from the surf. The key bodies of water are the Raritan Bay; Sandy Hook Bay; Shark River; Shark River Inlet; Manasquan River; Manasquan Inlet; Barnegat Bay (especially at the BB, BI and "40" buoys and the mouth of the Forked River and Oyster Creek); Barnegat Inlet; Beach Haven inlet; Little Egg Inlet; Great Bay; Brigantine Inlet; Absecon Inlet; Great Egg Harbor Inlet; Corson Inlet; Townsends Inlet; Hereford Inlet; Cape May Inlet; and the Delaware Bay, to name a few locations. If you have more detailed questions or information to share regarding these areas, please join us in our "Fishing Reports" Forum at  http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?board=23.0 .

I prefer a spinning outfit for fishing from jetties or the sand. I use a fishfinder rig with enough weight to get to the bottom. I use killie (mud minnow)/squid or spearing/squid for bait, although there are many good choices. An alternative to the fishfinder rig is a bucktail tipped with killie (mud minnow)/squid or spearing/squid. In either case, it is important that the bait not remain stationary for long periods of time or you will find yourself catching many skates. In inlets, please throw upcurrent and your line will flow with the current naturally. Do not underestimate how close the Fluke can be. There are many times where they lie in ambush in one foot of water right in the suds.

For boaters, you can fish all the described rivers, bays, estuaries and oceanfront with the same techniques. In addition, you can access the many NJ Artificial reefs. As you are aware, structure attracts baitfish and are great ambush points for Fluke. Structure can mean a change in the bottom (i.e. a dropoff); a wreck; rubble; jetties; rocks; and clam beds for examples. I perfer to use a conventional rod/reel combo with a fishfinder rig with enough weight to hold straight up and down. I also prefer to use braid (i.e. Power Pro) due to its increased sensitivity; less weight to get down in the strike zone; and increased hook setting capability because of its lack of stretch versus mono. A bucktail is also effective. Whatever bait you try, I like to use live (i.e. snapper, killie (mud minnow)) or freshly killed. Don't be afraid to get right in the structure. You will lose a lot of terminal gear so keep it simple. However, you will greatly increase your chance of catching a true doormat (10 lbs. +).

So, while fishing for NJ Fluke has been very good up until now in 2007, you still have a chance to get out and be successful with one of NJ's most popular recreational fish!

Thanks,

Capt. Ed
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 03:10:01 PM by Capt. Ed »

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: NJ Fluke Fishing
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 06:27:11 PM »
I just got back from a visit at my boat in AH, tied some rigs, smoked a cigar and hung out with others on the dock.  Todays top catch was at the TC bouy.  Some guy came in with 14 real nice keepers there.  Another guy I talked to was out at the rocks and got nothing.  Wind was kicking, but was a great breeze at the docks.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 07:50:09 PM »
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the update on the fishing ...

Cigar and relaxing is my kind of day!

Ed

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 09:43:15 PM »
you forget, and hanging with other who share the same interest...  ;D
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Capt Craig

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 08:40:39 AM »
Definitely. There is plenty of Flukin to be done over the next few weeks. At this time of year fish the Reefs and lumps you know of or may find while your out there. The Fluke we caught in the post I put up yesterday were caught on the Ocean City Reef. There is lots of structure there and getting snagged is a strong possibility so have plenty of riggs ready. That goes for all the reefs a long the Jersey cost.But the Fluke are there too with other species like Blues and Seabass. Also as your fishing or running to a spot keep an eye on your fish finder looking at the bottom contour. If you see for example a water depth of lets say 45' and you notice it comes up to 30' or whatever. Fish it! Fish the edges of the drop off and the top of lumps like this. Fluke will be attracted to this kind of structure. And just because one lump does not have fish on it don't pass up another lump. If a lump does not have fish today it might tomorrow. Mark these lumps in your machine and come to them periodically. Good Luck!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-