Author Topic: What's up at Reel Fun Sportfishing  (Read 3348 times)

Offline ReelFun

• Capt John
What's up at Reel Fun Sportfishing
« on: January 20, 2012, 12:27:27 PM »
Fellow Anglers,

Just a few lines to keep you informed as to what's going on here at Reel Fun Sportfishing.

As we settle into the heart of winter, you have to admit it's not been too bad so far. Let's keep our fingers crossed it stays this way for awhile longer. I've been very busy getting ready for the upcoming fishing shows by revising and printing brochures, business cards and postcards too. Anyone attending the shows will get a look at a little new feature that you'll find on the Reel Fun postcards with the addition of a QR code. If you have a smartphone, just scan the QR code on the postcard and you'll be directed right to the Reel Fun Sportfishing web site....cool!

I've talked to the show organizers and they are very excited about the seminars that will be featured this year and the addition of some new vendors to both the Suffern as well as the Somerset, NJ shows. Word has it that the outdoor show last week in Edison, NJ was very well attended, which means that cabin fever has really set in and the hunters and fisherman are eager to get the 2012 season underway.

Personally, I've also been busy tying rigs for clamming and bunker chunking Stripers as well as making rigs for the upcoming Fluke season. We're going to introducing many of you to the art of "bucktailing" if you've never tried that very productive method before. Bucktailing around submerged wrecks and reefs can be very challenging at times, so a good understanding of this method is critical. You'll loose a ton of very expensive bucktails if you're not attentive in what you're doing. So be forewarned.....we'll start you off with a few bucktails, but I strongly advise you to purchase some bucktails from your favorite bait and tackle store in advance of your charter.

Spro's are what we use most often in sizes 2, 4, 6 and 8 ounces in white, chartreuse/white and my favorite is glow. Tsunami also makes a "ball" type bucktail with white feathers that works very well too in glow that catch fish! My biggest Fluke last year was on a 6 ounce Tsunami Glow w/ white feathers and a strip of Sea Robin....a killer on Fluke.

Sometime around mid March, and weather permitting, I'll be painting the bottom of the boat, and then she'll be ready to go. Hopefully the Raritan Bay Stripers will start to arrive around the 15th of April which is right on schedule. My mates and I will be doing some exploratory trips to locate these early season fish so we don't have to spend a lot of your time searching for them on the day of your charter. Stay warm and mark your calendars for the upcoming shows.

Tight Lines,
Capt. John

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: What's up at Reel Fun Sportfishing
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 06:19:15 PM »
Sounds like a good plan Capt John. Was a pleasure to meet you at last years Somerset show and I will be sure to stop by this year to say hi. Have a great off season and get them rigs ready.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 07:21:17 PM »
Yes Capt John sounds like you have a good plan, we  are keeping  busy taking care of the "Honey do" list, and look forward to Spring when we will be released from prison. chrz  t^

Offline Reel McCoy

• AKA usd00017
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 07:31:36 PM »
 chrz It won't be that long.
22' Grady-White Reel McCoy II

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 07:53:49 PM »
January is half over good winter so far hopefully the storm tonight blows by t^
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 08:31:33 PM »
Great post Capt. John.  I should be going to Somerset as well.  Look forward to seeing you there. t^

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 09:08:10 PM »
 t^ 2012banq

Offline ReelFun

• Capt John
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 07:11:27 PM »
Rod and Friends,

I'll be at the Banquet this year. thanks for the notice.

Capt. John

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 07:30:58 PM »
 w00t w00t 2012banq
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 08:56:37 AM »
Thanks Capt John,,,  The Stripers are still here this year.. I wonder how this will effect the spring raritan bay season?  Im usually the first boat in at the marina and do well on the stripers April 1st.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-