Author Topic: Need more help  (Read 2372 times)

Offline PHIL

Need more help
« on: February 05, 2012, 12:29:02 PM »
Thank You for your input on my last question. Here's the deal.I found 2 boats that I really like. Both have Yamaha 150hp outboards on them. The one yamaha is a 2004 2 stroke with about 300-400 hours on it. The other is a Yamaha 2005 4 stroke with about 1200 hours on it.Both boats are priced about the same. Both boats have exact same options and both are same model and length, and are in same good condition. Which one should I buy, and why??? Please help make this decision easy for me. 5hrug

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
Re: Need more help
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 12:58:14 PM »
Sorry, Phil I got nothing. I don't know enough to answer. I do know from speaking to people in the past that a lot of times it just comes down to personal preference.

Maybe Matt will chime in and offer his mechanical expertise.....

Welcome! Fred

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 01:06:08 PM »
personally i would go 4 stroke but thats just my preference.
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 03:39:03 PM »
After years of running a 2-stroke merc my next boat will definitely have a four stroke.  I fished a charter with a 4stroke yammi last year and was extremely impressed.  So much quieter and smoother in and out of gear than the 2 stroke.  I hesitate to make a real reccomendation becasue I haven't run a 4 stroke myself, but, like I said, I will not be purchasing another 2-stroke until I own and test a 4-stroke.
GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 08:24:27 PM »
First, what make model and length of boat is each motor pushing? Also what 2 stroke Yammy does it have? Carbed, HPDI, etc? Most Yamaha 2 stokes are good runners. 150 HPDI Yammys may be one of there best HP in that series. They do require strict maintenance of those expensive  fuel filters on the motor. Are there service records available for either motor? The 4 stroke 150 at 1200 hrs should have had a 1000hr maintainance done already including a timing belt. Either way you go, they should be checked out, or if being sold by a dealer, get a written warranty of some kind. DO NOT BUY A BOAT WITHOUT a SEATRIAL. If your spending alot of coin, think about a Survey.
Matt

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

Offline DJ76

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 09:47:21 AM »
personally i would go with the motor with the lower hours.  In theory you are going to get that much more life out of the motor (in theory). Tough to compare two stroke to four stroke though. Each has pros and cons.

There are soooooo many variables to consider and in the end only you can decide because you know them all. For instance...how long do you plan on owning the boat?  Do you turn over your boat every 5 years, 10, etc?  Do you plan on repowering in the future?  Is resale important?  Which better fits into your budget? Is fuel consumption important?

good luck
 slt
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 02:02:36 PM »
I'm in agreement with Maritime Matt, a Seatrial and Survey of both boats should give you more information on which to base your decision. They can save you a lot of money and aggravation in the long run. Nothing is worse than being stuck at the dock when the bite is hot.  fcp  <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-