Author Topic: Herring ban official?  (Read 4767 times)

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Herring ban official?
« on: January 28, 2012, 12:08:08 PM »
I have only seen this on the Press of Atlantic City site. Haven't been able to find anything on the NJ Fish and Wildlife or DEP site to corroborate it.

Read between the lines and it appears this is another attempt to get a paid saltwater license. They will try anything they can to push their agenda for more money.  nosmly

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/sports/local/fishing_boating/new-jersey-bans-the-catch-and-sale-of-river-herring/article_ef9c31bc-494f-11e1-a43d-001871e3ce6c.html
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Herring ban official?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 12:16:29 PM »
OMG!!.. there goes the spring striper fishing in the Delaware nosmly  Unbelievable!!

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 12:19:24 PM »
 nts

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 12:48:14 PM »
I've heard there is a ban on taking herring from Maryland north, all the way up the coast.  I don't have the regs to support that though.  
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 12:48:43 PM by Bucktail »

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 10:41:34 AM »
According to all of the news reports, it's true. I , like Joe, can not find an "Official" statement from the New Jersey Government. 5hrug

I wonder how this will affect the herring populations in out large lakes, where it is still legal to capture them. Is this where the bait supply is going to come from now, or from New York, where the fishery is unaffected? Sounds like another case of the New York guys keeping the fish that we are not allowed to.  nosmly
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 08:06:50 AM »
If it wasn't posted here is the Official statement

nosmly  http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/news/2012/herring-tog_regchange.htm   nosmly

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 10:50:46 AM »
This story sounds familiar....we cant possess but the commercial guys will be ok under the bycatch laws
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 10:57:29 AM »
This story sounds familiar....we cant possess but the commercial guys will be ok under the bycatch laws

YUP BUD--5% of there other catch over the 3 mile limit--But--Nj Comms can't do anything with them--AS it is we need that one more state to follow--In- line with all the others --And that is not going to happen 5hrug

WE will fish herring this year--HOPE NOT if you get my drift smk

« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 10:58:58 AM by IKAT »

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 11:48:32 AM »
This says "marine waters". Does that include the Delaware River around Trenton?

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 12:17:04 PM »
This says "marine waters". Does that include the Delaware River around Trenton?

This is friom the NJDEP-Division of Fish and wildlife...

Effective immediately, no person shall take, possess, land, purchase, sell or offer for sale any river herring (alewife and blueback) in the marine waters of the State. Only commercial vessels fishing exclusively in Federal waters while operating a valid Federal permit for Atlantic mackerel and/or Atlantic herring may possess river herring, up to a maximum of five percent by weight of all species possessed.

These regulations were put in place due to concerns about the significant coastwide decline of river herring stocks. The exact cause for these coastwide declines remains uncertain, but numerous factors such as loss of spawning habitat, impediments to fish passage (i.e. dams), water quality degradation and fishing all likely played a role. Amendment 2 of the ASMFC fishery management plan for river herring prohibits both the recreational and commercial harvest of river herring in the waters of states that do not have an ASMFC- approved river herring sustainable management plan. New Jersey does not have an approved plan since the available information on river herring stocks is not sufficient to definitively prove the State's river herring stocks are sustainable. Other states along the East Coast - Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, Massachusetts and Rhode Island - have closed their river herring fisheries as well.

Amendment 2 of the ASMFC fishery management plan for river herring applies to the state’s entire population of migratory herring in both marine and fresh waters. Currently, the river herring fishery closure is in place for marine waters only, but compliance with the ASMFC plan also requires closure of the state’s fishery for freshwater migratory herring. The freshwater fishery closure, which will not include landlocked herring populations, is expected to be in place by mid-February. The Division will issue a public notification when the freshwater closure is approved.

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 01:10:31 PM »
That really sucks!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 03:40:19 PM »
Yes it does.

And the NJOA is blaming it on the fact that the saltwater fishermen didn't go for a license, claiming that we didn't fund the fisheries to make their studies. Of course they omit the fact that the closure also includes all the states that  do have a saltwater license. But hey, why let facts get in the way of your agenda.  nosmly

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 06:38:57 AM »
 fcp nosmly

Offline IKAT

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 08:16:59 AM »

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-