Author Topic: 5/24 Manasqaun Inlet Report  (Read 976 times)

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
5/24 Manasqaun Inlet Report
« on: May 25, 2012, 08:37:13 AM »
Well, if you were out or near the ocean yesterday you know what kind of slop it was. I had the opportunity to fly over the ocean early in the AM before making it out and it looked calm and the visibility at 0430 seemed to be good. That turned to S*&( as the day progressed.

I made it to the marina around 2:00 after getting my sister and taking care of morning commitments. We found some foggy conditions but, it wasn't that bad. We decided to go ahead and give it a try anyway.

Headed out of the inlet to find to find some 4'+ in the inlet and about 3/4 mil visibility. We headed north looking for bunker but, found none. We had few marks, nothing spectacular w/occasional bunker schools deep. The original plan was to head about 2.5m off of SRI but, with the fog and 3'ers we decided to play it safe and just troll the 50' to 60' lines. Conditions were poor for trolling but, we wet the stretches and spoon. The only thing caught was a foul hooked bunker.

Conditions deteriorated and vis dropped to 1/4m so, we slow trolled it back to the MI 2M to make the turn inbound. I am glad I had previously plotted a safety 'approach' from the 2M inbound to the inlet in my GPS. That along with the radar really paid off.

Altough another skunk with my Sis (I'm seeing a trend here) it was another good learning day on the water. It has been years since I have been in fog that thick. A few more 'lessons' with my radar and I think the comfort level will allow me to venture further offshore in limited vis situations.

If you were out there yesterday I hope you had good luck!

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Re: 5/24 Manasqaun Inlet Report
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 10:30:06 AM »
I think your sister is a jinx. :P

;D

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
Re: 5/24 Manasqaun Inlet Report
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 10:35:41 AM »
I think your sister is a jinx. :P

;D

Believe me, we discussed that at great length.....  rgmn

It looks like the fish we there where they have been but, still didn't feel the comfort level to put ourselves out there.

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-