Author Topic: Confirmation on Crabbing  (Read 1892 times)

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
Confirmation on Crabbing
« on: June 27, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
 5hrug 5hrug Just when you thought it was safe :headscra: :headscra: I met a man while crabbing at Port Monmouth yesterday and restricted Crabbing came up, and How safe the crabs in the Bay area are,  He pointed out to me That The waters In the State of New Jersey from  ??? Key Port on up and along the shores and up the Aurther Kill and beyond are Closed to ALL crabbing Commercial and other wise
. And that the New York side is open  5hrug And that the commercial Crabbers sell to brokers that sell them in New Jersey. Since they are not shell fish they are not regulated as such for sale, Big Al what do you hear that is official as a local I respect your opinion. For me no More Crabbing in The Raritan Sewer system. My crab will be from a Can from Asia or Maryland,  chrz chrz chrz

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
Re: Confirmation on Crabbing
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 01:08:13 PM »
I to have been crabbing for the past 4 days. I have noticed alot of small ones.As for eating them...i have for the past 3 days,the only difference i see and taste is their full of meat and its as white as can be........all caught in belford and port monmouth
Why does it Matter to you? cause I could careless.........

Offline newcaddy4j

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 02:20:18 PM »
I believe what the guy was referring too was the Marine fisheries advisory.  He was mistaken,  they advise eating 1 meal or 7 crabs, no more than once a month for the Raritan Bay.    The Newark bay complex which is from Perth Amboy North all the way up to Newark is a no no.   

This has all been debated by fisherman though.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/dsr/fishadvisories/statewide.htm

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 02:33:46 PM »
Here is one of the crabs i caught down belford/port monmouth yesterday! notice the blue color

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 02:54:30 PM »
I phoned the NJDFG Marine you are right on about 7 a week.  but all commercial crabbing has been closed, in the areas I mentioned, There isa guy here in Marlboro on RT 79 that did or does commercial crabbing I do not know if he is friendly or not but will stop and ask him. There also used to be Crab pots piled high under the Morgan Creek bridge RT 35 to be exact, but for some years now they have been gone,, And it matters not if the meat looks ok or the crabs are some what clean, I used to crab off what I call the new bridge in Belford.big crabs and Big ass snapping turtles same spot.  No more crabbing for me I am in a high risk group.
Off subject many years when porgies were massive ever notice the taste of Iodine in them. Now I do not taste it from ocean caught ones. And On broad street in Newark vendors would charbroil them and get$. 50 cents for them  chrz

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 07:29:14 PM »
Ah yes the "new" bridge.lolol i dont no i seem ok from eating them,but if your high risk then DONT eat them lol.......They seem very clean...who knows maybe ill wake up tomorrow glowing green.....but thanks for the info.ill be on the look out now!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-