Author Topic: making you own sinkers?  (Read 18258 times)

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
Re: making you own sinkers?
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2013, 09:57:19 AM »
what do I need a mask and gloves for ;)

Hint a dust mask will not help. A certain Mask is needed. that controls fumes. not a cheap item. Gloves ? The lead and Molds are hot. Saftey glasses are not a bad idea eaither. Keep away from any water sorse. water and molten lead will expload. Another Hint Candle smoke the mold first. Light a Candle and hold close to the inside of the mold cavity and Blacken it with the soot from the candle. this will cure the mold against sticking. sinkers. When the mold gets to hot let it cool before casting each batch. And with those wheel Weights you will get a lot of skum that has to be skimmed off. The Lead should have a Blue cast that showes its ready to pour. 
Made My own Sinkers and Black Powder Balls & bullets. Not to mention 100s of pound in kettles of molten lead at GM for roof line sealing in the body shop. No Longer used. The men working with it wore special clothes. air supplied Helmet masks and tested monthly for lead poisioning The area was sealed form the rest of the Plant.  Be Safe and good luck. Bill

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2013, 10:27:14 AM »
I have a neighbor that makes them and sells them real cheap.  $.12 per oz.. Looking at all this equipment, this hobbie can be expensive if you want to get various molds.  From protective gear, to equipment, molds, lead, propane, your time etc.. In my opinion, I would just buy what I need from at a good cost. 
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2013, 12:35:44 PM »
I have a neighbor that makes them and sells them real cheap.  $.12 per oz.. Looking at all this equipment, this hobbie can be expensive if you want to get various molds.  From protective gear, to equipment, molds, lead, propane, your time etc.. In my opinion, I would just buy what I need from at a good cost. 

Also at Flea Markets. A guy in Key Port and another in Matawan, have them cheap,
I stared out with Spark Plugs wnen I was a Kid, as My Grandfather did. Even used window sash weights off shore.  Bill

Offline DJ76

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2013, 03:26:14 PM »
guys, i'm kidding about the mask and gloves fcp
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2013, 03:57:07 PM »
 TT^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2013, 05:07:43 PM »
The masks are silvee welding masks I have some
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2013, 08:00:56 PM »
Im Not the gases & fumes will kill you.And the Lead and the molds are HOT. One never thinks that when you handle Lead you should wash your hands with soap and water. Lead poisoning is not A Good thing. Al will bear me out on this as he is exposed to it in the power plant. Bill

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2013, 11:36:21 PM »
Lead poisoning is not A Good thing. Bill

From my experience as a paramedic, poisoning of any sort is not a good thing.   ovrbt

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline DJ76

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2013, 11:56:28 PM »
my post went from asking about sinkers to firearm ranges to safety to poisoning.  anyone care to add anything else?   rofla
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2013, 09:35:31 AM »
Yeah it did but its not a total derailment all of those are relivant in this. Now that ham samitch i had for lunch yesterday is a different story  :P
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2013, 09:37:40 AM »
Sorry I thought you were asking for advise or help On making sinkers. Good Luck . Bill

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2013, 10:44:20 AM »
Yeah it did but its not a total derailment all of those are relivant in this. Now that ham samitch i had for lunch yesterday is a different story  :P

I like cheese and spicy mustard on a lunch meat samitch? Not overly fond of the ham though, rather have roast beef. A little bit of lettuce too. ;D
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline DJ76

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2013, 11:09:15 AM »
Sorry I thought you were asking for advise or help On making sinkers. Good Luck . Bill

Chill out Bill. I enjoy your posts! Just an observation on the thread, thought it was funny and could care less where it goes. Not upset in the least. This site is about helping each other out (which you have done) and enjoyment.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2013, 12:25:37 PM »
No problem words have no feelings, I just offered a apology if you felt I steered it off topic. Last word. Bill

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-