Author Topic: Trouble shoot Yamaha 20hp four stroke  (Read 2882 times)

Offline Koniar24

Trouble shoot Yamaha 20hp four stroke
« on: July 23, 2013, 12:48:04 PM »
I bought my 20hp Yamaha four stroke in 2009 new. When I first got it, my buddy and I could go around 22mph on a rough lake. I just took it in to a mechanic and he replaced the prop and said the carb and everything was fine on it. He said he took it out on the water and it is zipping around now. I took it in because I was lucky to get 8mph on a calm lake. He said the rpm's were around 6k which is apparently where they should be. So, I took it out with my wife and two little kids on a calm lake in northern Wisconsin. We barely got 12mph. I have already done a complete overhaul on the engine. I don't know what else to do. The first couple of years I lived in Milwaukee and no one tells you down there when you first buy them to only use non-ethanol. So now, I only use non-ethanol with marine stabil. I have run seafoam through. I have changed the plugs, the prop. I don't know what else I can do to improve the performance. I understand that I will most likely never get back to the performance of when I first bought it, but if I could at least get it up to about 18mph, I would be happy. Any thoughts? Please, any help is much appreciated.

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
Re: Trouble shoot Yamaha 20hp four stroke
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 09:29:46 PM »
Compression Test

Fuel Pump Test

Yamaha Dianostic Test ( If you know anyone with he software, otherwise it will have to be done by a Yamaha Dealer).

Find a new mechanic.

I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 05:05:24 AM »
 whs

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 06:40:12 AM »
Maybe it's the new prop?
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-