Author Topic: Need help with live lining eels along jetties  (Read 25502 times)

Offline Beachboundobx

Need help with live lining eels along jetties
« on: October 19, 2013, 02:39:37 PM »
 Hey everyone I'm new here but have learned a ton just doing searches online and coming across you guys. First I wanna thank you all for the info that is posted I'm the only fisherman in my family and have been teaching myself since I was a kid and about 5 years ago started surf fishing and now it's all I think about I even travel to obx twice a year.
   I've heard a lot of things about fishing eels and figured I would try it so I did my usual internet searches and figured out what type of rig, rod, reel, and line you know what ever else goes along with it. I watch weather water temp moon phrase the whole nine. Now I fish barnegat inlet south jetty which has a really long jetty and I noticed everyone walking out to the end like I bet a dozen guys all in one spot. So I decided to fish the whole thing it was wide open so I would cast the eel at like a 45 from the rocks and take 10 or 15 steps and do the same thing cast all angles. I walked those rocks end to end about 10 or 12 times in 7 hours and about 5 hours in I got a hit a pretty good one but I pulled the hook I got a little fight but I didn't allow him to take it long enough I don't think so I guess I need to know how long do you let the fish run with the bait before you do anything? I'm using an gamu 8/0 octopus circle hook which I fish circle hooks so I'm pretty confident with them but not perfect. I was the only one to produce any action that night so sometimes thinking outside the box and going away from the norm or the croud is the way to go so if anyone has any thing that they would like to share please don't be shy I need all help I can get I'm on a quest for a big fish I haven't been lucky enough to land the one yet I've had so good battles but I have been beaten by bad store bought rigs so now I spend my lunch breaks making rigs. I even started molding my own plugs and I carved two last year that even caught some small school size bass so I'm a surf fishing freak that can't get enough. Thanks everyone!!!  (Sry so long I can talk about this all day)

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Need help with live lining eels along jetties
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 06:04:36 PM »
Welcome aboard.  t^

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 06:25:01 PM »
 wa

I'm not a land fisherman myself, I prefer the boat deal but hang in there we have lot's of guys   here that can lend a hand and some great advice...

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 11:57:23 PM »
 whs  I'm too clumsy for jetties. ;D

wa njswf7b

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 04:49:10 PM »
wa!!  I surf fish, but have not spent much time on jetties.  I have fished the Manasquan Inlet both sides and the south side of the BI a few times, years ago.  My guess, and only a guess is the guys all huddled up are out there so they can fish the ocean or the pocket on the beach side, or just an area that they feel has decent structure that will hold fish.  I don't fish in crowds, so I would do exactly what you did and move to another place. On the north side of MI, there are always about 10 guys fishing the pocket from the jetty and it is a productive spot.  The ends of both sides of the MI are popular too because they all think they need to  fish farther out and in the ocean.  Truth is, yes some fish will hold in spot where bait is, such as the pockets, usually on the north sides, but both sides can hold fish and anywhere there is decent structure.  However, it is not always a given that these areas will have bait or fish there and if a school moves in your chances are just as good anywhere the school is moving through.  Inlets are not the easiest or most productive places to fish and limit you on where you can move.  I'm not saying not to fish them, but hitting up the surf from the beach and learning to read the sand and water will give you just as many opportunities.  OF COURSE, fish where ever and whenever you can...there is never a bad time to fish!! 

As for eeling, a bass is going to inhale that eel, quickly!  By the time you feel the hit and they start taking line, they have already inhaled that eel.  I would only give it about 5-10 seconds before setting the hook (on a non-circle hook) or engaging the reel and reeling in (with a circle hook).  On non-circle hooks, like a j-hook or bait holder, I would set the hook no more than 5 seconds to prevent gut-hooking.  If you are not getting the hook-ups with the circle hooks, I would check to make sure you are rigging the eels properly or switch to a J-hook.  I have read pros and cons on circle hooks and eels.  They are great for preventing gut-hooking, but they also can get double hooked in the eel and prevent you from catching the fish!

Good luck and hopefully, someone who jetty fishes regularly can give you some up-to-date insight!

TT^

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 10:14:10 PM »
Welcome aboard. Yes fishing the surf and jetty can be very rewarding or frustrating based on your results. I fish the boat and surf; and there are many different issues to think about. Look for bait ... fish.Fish could be eating or not.Match the bait with your plugs or lures,type is more important than color right now.
Fish  different tides and conditions and you will connect. Bait is great but there is something beautiful about a fish SMASHING a lure.Keep in mind mono and braid will react differently.
Good Luck  t^

Offline Beachboundobx

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 06:15:41 AM »
Thanks everyone for your replies I need all the help I can get. Well went out again last night and caught a nice size fish it's a good start I think I have a feel for it. I'm usually on the beach and just been trying new things to land the one but the most helpful thing I've learn from things posted was reading the beach. I went my first 2 years without any fish at all just skates and crabs. Then I read that post and the first time going out after that I caught 3 fish. So now all I have to do now is put in my time and hopefully the fish gods will throw me a bone. Thanks again

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 08:22:02 AM »
http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?topic=32658.0

I like to use smaller hooks for eels 5/0 size. 8/0 work but usually better for chunking or live lining Bunker t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-