Author Topic: Perfect fit gun for hunting the Florida wild boar hog  (Read 1699 times)

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
Perfect fit gun for hunting the Florida wild boar hog
« on: November 20, 2013, 04:52:08 AM »
 t^  Perfect fit gun for hunting the Florida wild boar hog
In Florida we are fortunate to be able to hunt twelve months out of the year. On private land there is no closed season on the very cunning, dangerous, wild boar hog. One of the first questions facing the serious hog hunter is, should I use a shot gun or rifle? Without question a shot gun with buck shot will put a hog down. But will it keep him down? Large boar hogs have what is called a shield protecting the front part of the animal. This 'shield' is very capable of stopping, to a large extent,  even 00 buck shot. I have harvested many huge hogs with a shot gun. However, I have also had many run only to die a painful death later on.
If we decide to use a rifle, the 'shield' is no problem. Non-the-less, putting them down and keeping them down can prove to be very difficult. Even a heart/lung shot is no guarantee our trophy will stay down. We all have our own opinion as to which gun, and what caliber, is best. Here is where personal preference plays a huge part.  
I have been hunting hogs in Florida for over 50 years. I have learned a great deal of respect for them. For many years my gun of choice was a BAR 7 mm Mag. Very fast and powerful, however, without a perfect head shot, often not available in the wild, they will run even on this very powerful magnum caliber. Somehow  hogs just do not think too much of the idea of being shot; they definitely are not happy campers. They have a tenancy to act rather badly. Most try to get away; some don't. Our big boar's tusk tend to be rather large, and he definitely knows how to use them.  Being charged by a 200 + pound wild boar hog is not exactly a good situation to be in. By far the better solution is to drop this monster and keep him down before he has a chance to inflict grave bodily harm. My personal preference; my 'Perfect fit gun for hunting the Florida wild boar hog'  is  the Marlin 1895 stainless 'guide' gun. It's small, fast, easy to take care of,  extremely dependable, and can chamber  the big boar, drop them in their tracks, 45/70. Will it keep him down? You had better believe it.

Bob Harbison Florida Outdoor Writers Association
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 05:14:42 AM by harbison »

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
Re: Perfect fit gun for hunting the Florida wild boar hog
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 06:42:17 PM »
 t^....Thanks for the information Capt. Maybe one day I will put a hog on the table..... chrz
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 01:08:39 PM »
 grtn   I have hunted all over the country. I have hunted deer in Alabama's famous Black Belt; I have shot deer after tracking for hours in the snows of Maine; I have hunted elk in New Mexico. I will take hunting the wild boar hog over any of them. They are recognized as one of the smartest animals in the woods; they can pattern you very well. They have a nose that defies the imagination. They have an attitude, all bad. You never know for sure who is going to get whom. They have only one serious drawback...their stomach! They are always hungry. They come to electric corn feeders very well:

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 06:26:25 PM »
 t^...Might need an M-50 for that many.... hhppy
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 09:08:02 PM »
Bet that would do the job.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-