Author Topic: Strange phenomenon.."Motion Induced Blindness"  (Read 3751 times)

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Strange phenomenon.."Motion Induced Blindness"
« on: January 21, 2014, 12:06:01 PM »
Something to think about.

Motion Induced Blindness  (DRIVERS  NOTE)
this is very interesting ...should be read by everyone.  Check it out and do the test!

In a motor accident, wherein a speeding car hits a slower moving vehicle coming from the side, the speeding car drivers often swear that they just didn’t see the vehicle coming from the left or right.
Well, they aren’t lying. They really don’t see the vehicle coming from the side, in spite of broad daylight.

This phenomenon on the car drivers’ part is known as “Motion Induced Blindness”. It is definitely frightening.

Once airborne, pilots are taught to alternate their gaze between scanning the horizon and scanning their instrument panel, and never to fix their gaze for more than a couple of seconds on any single object. They are taught to continually keep their heads on a swivel and their eyes always moving. Because, if you fix your gaze on one object long enough while you yourself are in motion, your peripheral vision goes blind.

Till about three decades ago, this “heads on swivel & eyes moving” technique was the only way to spot other aircraft in the skies around. Now-a-days they have on-board radars, but the old technique still holds good.

Let me give you a small demonstration of motion induced blindness. Just click on the link below. You will see a revolving array of blue crosses on a black background. There is a flashing green dot in the centre and three fixed yellow dots around it. If you fix your gaze on the green dot for more than a few seconds, the yellow dots will disappear at random, either singly, or in pairs, or all three together. In reality, the yellow dots are always there.

Just watch the yellow dots for some time to ensure that they don’t go anywhere!

http://www.msf-usa.org/motion.html

(Notes given by the author below the rotating array are educative.)

So, if you are driving at a high speed on a highway and if you fix your gaze on the road straight ahead, you will not see a car, a scooter, a buggy, a bicycle, a buffalo or even a human being approaching from the side.

Now reverse the picture. If you are crossing a road on foot and you see a speeding car approaching, there’s a 90% chance that the driver isn’t seeing you, because his/her peripheral vision may be blind! And you may be in that blind zone!!
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
Re: Strange phenomenon.."Motion Induced Blindness"
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 01:25:45 PM »
WOW....Good stuff Joe  t^

Seeing it really makes great sense ...

Offline Ms Fish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 02:04:48 PM »
We are taught something similar to this in our defensive driving classes at work. Good Stuff and sooo important!!   

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 02:47:34 PM »
Interesting! I have heard of this before in driving classes, but the animation really let's you see it first hand.  Thanks for sharing TT^!

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 03:57:10 PM »
I was waiting for a punchline. ;D

Good info. t^

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 05:48:18 PM »
 t^

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 09:53:30 AM »
I was waiting for a punchline. ;D

Good info. t^

whs ;D
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 11:34:53 AM »
Interesting Joe.
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 02:27:18 PM »
This doesn't only work with motion. Your eyes are just receptors that relay images to the brain,  then the brain deciphers the images to make sense. Everyone's' eyes have a "blind spot" which doesn't pick up images. We don't notice this because what the brain does is input a color into the blind spot that matches the surrounding color. To see this work take a colored piece of construction paper and draw a small black dot somewhere on it. Next stare at the paper so the dot is to either side of your eyes. Next move the paper slowly in different directions until the dot disappears. The dot obviously doesn't disappear but instead it moved into your blind spot and your brain just substituted the color of the paper in that spot because it thought that since all the surrounding area was a certain color, that the dot should've been that color as well. Pretty cool.

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 07:58:28 PM »
Very cool.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline MJ619

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 01:35:28 PM »
That is cool when I keep my eyes moving while looking at it the spots don't disappear.

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 09:39:18 AM »
 t^
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-