Author Topic: Tournament weekend sharking  (Read 2845 times)

Offline Pauls1976

• Full Member of the Den
Tournament weekend sharking
« on: June 22, 2014, 11:01:55 PM »
Was invited to join a friends crew for a weekend fishing Mako Mania and Mako Fever on a 34 Regulator. Weather reports looked great so I agreed. In stead of outing all our eggs in one basket, we would fish one tournament each day.

On Saturday, we fished Mako Fever, we left the dock after the shot gun start to miss the chaos. Reached the inlet, greeted with tight 4/5 footers topped off with all the wakes. Proceeded to our spot running directly into the seas. It was like being in a car wash of saltwater. Reached our spot and on the drift it wasn't nearly as bad. Marked some bait and had some marks but only had bluefish bites. Friends in the area had the same or less. Never saw a shark.

On Sunday, we fished Mako Mania. With winds being about what was forecasted, we pushed off to the east/southeast. Found 68 degree clear water. 3 hours without much life. The first fin appeared, it was about 100lb Hammer head. Swam around our slick for about a half hour before he finally hit. Quick work and he was released. A short while later, a bigger hammerhead appeared but he just cruised the slick. About an hour later, we had a nice run off, set the hook, rod doubled over and then nothing. Bait looked untouched. Reset the rod, run off again, about a 200lb Dusky which was released unharmed. After drifting up on flat ground, made a wiggle. Was checking lines when a small Mako started to dart around the slick, wouldn't take a bite and soon disappeared. After another change of baits, we reeled in two rods that were tangled. As we are untangling the mess, a bit bigger Mako appeared and we watched our skirt and bait  disappear, then the Mako jumped towards us, tangling another two lines. Cleared one line and Mako came close enough to where we gaffes and tail roped it. A 66" Mako was tied off. Not the one we were hoping for but after a long Sat and Sun winding down, we kept it for the grill. Drifted for about another hour as we finished off the chum/bait and cleaned up the boat. Satisfying day after the brutal Saturday trip.

Congrats to the winners and happy to see the particpating boats on my dock brought back some meat although none of us finished in the weather. After some rest will be back at it this week, inshore and offshore.

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
Re: Tournament weekend sharking
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 03:21:49 AM »
 t^
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Salty Dog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 06:33:24 AM »
Good going .Got to be in it-to win it ! Next time ,and you were . chrz

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 07:19:20 AM »
 t^...... chrz
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 07:51:01 AM »
Thanks for the report t^

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 08:28:15 AM »
 whs  t^
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 08:29:58 AM »
Nice detailed report,  Thankyou t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Ms Fish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 09:40:21 AM »
Nice write up.  TT^ Sunday was the better half of the weekend weather wise for sure. Man, all those different sharks swimming all around the boat  :-\ I dunno if I could do it. Kudos to those that can, did, and won!  clp

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 01:30:35 PM »
Nice report. Good eats anyway. t^ chrz
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline SHARKBITE

• Shark Bite Bucktails
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Shark Bite Bucktails
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 09:50:39 PM »
Great report. Glad you at least got one for the table. We battled the ocean 40 plus off, had three hook ups, first mako wasn't going to beat the Friday scale weight so we released it and rode out the day hoping for bigger which also never came for us.

Offline SHARKBITE

• Shark Bite Bucktails
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Shark Bite Bucktails
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 10:18:46 PM »
The one of two we did manage to get to boat

Offline Tuna Tales

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 07:23:27 AM »
Nice catch and report!

Joe T.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-