Author Topic: Winterize or keep the boat in the water?  (Read 1638 times)

Offline bossross

Winterize or keep the boat in the water?
« on: November 01, 2007, 09:25:28 PM »
This was my first full year with the boat. I'm very tempted not to have the boat hauled out of the water and winterized, but rather keep it in the water for the winter. The cost of the slip for the winter is much less expensive than the winterization.

My thinking is that if we get a mild winter like we have had recently, I can get a fair amount of fishing done over the winter and I'd hate like heck to have the boat up on blocks in 50 and 60 degree weather.

What's the downside to doing this? The marina I'm working with says that they have many folks in the water all year, they claim there's enough current to keep the water from freezing and causing a problem.

Am I overlooking something that may be a problem?

Thanks
Ross

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Winterize or keep the boat in the water?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 09:42:07 PM »
Hi Ross,
I left my boat in one year.  Fortunately, it was a mild winter with only two snows.  I was down every weekend checking on the boat.

If the boat is in the water unless you are hooked up to electricity and have a charger hooked up to your batteries, you have to be concerned with the batteries running down and making your bilge pumps useless as they would have no power to run them if needed.

You still have to be concerned if there is any water in the water jackets of the motor.  Boat in or out of the water and motor not winterized. 

If it snows the boat will fill with snow and then the snow will probably harden and block your scuppers, keeping any melting snow from draining.  The added weight of any accumulated snow will lower the boat in the water.

Keeping the boat in the water will also enhance the occurance of the hull blistering.  The fiberglass will be water saturated.

True, people do leave their boats in for the winter. But I think for the peace of mind, unless you will be going to the boat VERY often take it out and avoid a worrysome winter.

Just my opinion.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 09:42:58 PM »
well, all your wells with freeze along with any water that is left in the engines.  Its a risk, but it has been done.  I wouldn't reccomend it with the cost of boating these days.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline bossross

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 09:52:49 PM »
Thank you for your advice. I absolutely respect your experience. (That's why I asked).... the temptation of fishing longer into the season is great, but as you point out, the issues and potential damage is probably too great...

Ross

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 09:54:21 PM »
Ross

I was in until Dec 10th last year and plan to a least stay in until then if not longer.....last year we were jigging Strippers on New YEars day in T-Shirts.

If the weather turns bad it only takes me a day to get the boat out and winterized (I d it myself)

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-