Author Topic: water color  (Read 1238 times)

Offline PHIL

water color
« on: February 01, 2008, 08:19:29 AM »
If I look out in the ocean and see two different color waters running into each other such as blue and clear is that called an eddie and could that hold some good fishing areas possibly. I've learned in some classes that a warmer water column could move from the gulf of mexico and end up here and thats why we see two different color waters running into each other sometimes. Is this somewhat true? And close to shore?

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: water color
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 10:11:17 AM »
Hi PHIL,

This in all practicality is not an Eddy.  An Eddy forms usually from the northward moving current of the gulf stream and as the coloration may be true in this case it is most likely caused by a thermocline or some other current. 

Eddies on the East side of the Gulf Stream usually are counter clock wise currents of warm water that break off from the Gulf Stream but as far as coming this close to shore is pretty unlikely. On the western side of the Gulf Stream where the Labradore Current runs north to south and parallel to the coast the Eddies form a clockwise current of circulation. 

These eddies are miles across and could go as deep as 4000 meters.

I am not saying it could not happen but for the most part it is caused by other factors.

I hope this helps and doesn't confuse your question.

PAul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline PHIL

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 10:31:00 AM »
Thanx Paul. So this is a thermocline? Is it good for fishing? Or am I still way off?

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 10:42:53 AM »
This could be a thermocline or just two different sub currents.  My guess it is just two different currents this far in and this time of year.  You usually see this off shore more in the hotter days of summer but strange things do happen.

Thinking about other scenarios when looking at the water off the beach the bar that usually forms out further will be a lighter color than the surrounding water and may seem a greenish yellow this is normal and as you get closer to shore the slough (the drop off between the outer bar and the beach) will turn a darker green to a blue color.  Deeper water is always darker. 

On a bright sunny day you can tell where the cuts in the bars are if there is no wave action by the color if there is as dark section that runs parallel to the shore bar that is your cut.  This might only be a slight depression in the bar just enough to let the water in and out.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-