Author Topic: Public Apology  (Read 3252 times)

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
Public Apology
« on: May 03, 2008, 02:36:29 PM »
I would like to apologize to everyone for not reporting sooner, but the shame is just to much to bare! :'(  The season for me is now-
FISH - 9
SEAN - 0
I am going to report on the places I have fished, as well as post the pictures that I have taken along the way. I have been fishing in in all different situations from numerous jetties and beaches from Atlantic city to Longport, and I hope to soon get down to the Cape May area soon.
SOMETHINGS GOTTA GIVE !!!! ???
I need to catch a fish soon....one that I can bring home and eat... ;D ...it will be one expensive fish considering the amount of gas I have used up in the last 9 trips.  o@

Anyway, I hope you all can forgive my lack of enthusiasm  :-\ at this point, and maybe you can send some of those fish you guys are catching down my way. I will post soon with reports on some of the places I have been in the past few weeks. Until then....wish me luck!  t^
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: Public Apology
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 03:56:33 PM »
Sean, don't give up.  it will come eventually.  You do have to put your time in and do your own research.  This time of year can be rough as the fish are in some ways finicky.  You have to be at the right place at the right time.

Once they get spread out you will catch with no problem trust me.  Right now they are like marauding packs, rushing in devouring what they can and then out to safe water.

Just find out what they are eating and pick that for your bait or something that mimics it.  I like using clams this time of year for striper's.  Try using a Hi Low rig for this allowing you to cover a little more of the water column.  This is what the guy used yesterday to catch that nice 32" striper on clams at the Barnegat Inlet.

Like I said don't give up.  I still don't catch every time out and anyone that says they do and fishes from land is either a lier or some phenomenal fisherman.

Just do it... grtn

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 04:17:20 PM »
Hey Sean, thanks for the report even if somewhat late.

As Paul said, it is tough fishing the surf this time of year. Things are just starting and you have to be there when the fish are. That is not always possible and quite frankly, at times it is miraculous when it does happen.

Being land locked is a disadvantage as you can not cover the ground like a boat fisherman can.

Continue to put your time in and you will catch.

In the mean time, enjoy your time on the beach.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 07:56:40 PM »
What a great effort  t^

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 09:42:14 PM »
We do get weiry but we do not give up !
Good Luck, It Will happen.       AJ

Offline seanr8w

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 06:26:44 PM »
Thanks for the reassuring words from everyone, and trust me when I say that I have no intention of giving up. I am going to try to pick up some new gear in the next couple of weeks. I hope to replace alot of what I am using now. I would love to get some advice as to some "must have's" for catching striper from the Surf. Thanks Again!
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 10:52:01 PM »
One of the best bits of advice that I can give you is to latch onto a good B&T shop and let them steer you in the right direction.  Not only will you get a good outfit but when you go beck in the reports will be a lot different.  This time no BS... ;D

But if you are looking for a really nice set up for the surf as well as the jetties you can't go wrong with a 10'6" rod by Tica I have the Dolphin Series with the Penn 560 Slammer with 30 to 40 pound braid.

That is my go to outfit with out a doubt.

Good Luck

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline seanr8w

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 07:35:03 AM »
Thanks Again Paul,

I definately need a new rod since the one I use most right now is only about 7' .(I guess size DOES matter) hhppy ... It is difficult to get a long cast from ... not to mention the amount of lures and rigs I have lost to low lying rocks on the Jetty's.  nosmly I am using "Stren Super Braid at a 30 lb test. I also have found information on the web about making my own lures, so I decided to give it a try. I have not fished with a homemade lure yet, but I plan to get the treble hooks I need and give the first lure a try hopefully tomorrow. I know it is a longshot, but I just think it would be incredibly cool to land a "Trophy Fish" on a homemade lure. This lure I whittled outta a 1 1/4" oak dow rod for some top water fishing. Tell me what you think.
Steven Wright

Offline rugman

• Super Hero Member
  • ARTY'S CARPET SERVICE
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 08:03:42 AM »
DONT QUIT YOU DAY JOB ;D
Arty's Carpet Service.

For all your carpet needs RUGMAN7092@OPTONLINE.NET

Offline seanr8w

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 08:18:20 AM »
My cat thinks it looks like a fish! If it had hooks on it I would have caught her like 6 times already! ;)
Steven Wright

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 06:51:35 PM »
It looks cool! t^ If it floats and pops you should catch something on it for sure!

Good Luck! ;D

-Bob

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 07:13:43 PM »
Sean you have the right idea.  It looks real cool.  Just a few hints though.  Before you paint it you should have sealed the wood first.

1. Sand till it is a smooth as you can get it with a medium grit and then a fine grit.

2. seal the wood with a varnish or shalack  some use a combo of linseed oil and a varnish.  let it dry and sant lightly again. Do this till it becomes very smooth.

3. then you are ready for paint. 

4. Once you paint it let it dry and then spray it with a couple coats of polyurethane spray.

Itr sounds luke a lot of work but it will be worth it oncy you can get multiple uses out of it.

I would say right now the paint might last about 3 casts.

How does it float BTW?

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline seanr8w

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 11:08:57 PM »
Thanks for the tips Paul, I will definately use them on the next one. I think that this lure was more or less to ease my tensions from the wallet being tight for the last couple of weeks. If I can't afford to fish, I might as well prepare to fish when the time comes! It floats great, but I haven't been able to test it other than in the sink, but I intend to give it those three casts tomorrow! If the paint comes right off, than I guess it will be ready to go back into the production line. I will say this, it was fun to make!
Steven Wright

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 11:10:57 PM »
There ya go.  That is what it is all about... t^
IN GOD WE TRUST

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-