Author Topic: Manasquan Inlet Report - 7-7-08  (Read 2423 times)

Offline fishinglifer

• Manasquan Inlet Weakfish
Manasquan Inlet Report - 7-7-08
« on: July 08, 2008, 08:54:31 PM »
Went down to Manasquan on Sunday with the wife.
Got there about 5:30pm. Didn't see anyone at the rail when I first got there. Started raining so I went down to check out the canal near the condos with the great instructions I got on this site. Water was beautiful but a little too much boat traffic. Also took a ride over to the Mantoloking Bridge. A lot of people crabbing and doing quite well. Thanks again to the directions from this forum.

Anyway headed back to Manasquan and fished till about 7:30. Caught one fluke about 16" on a storm (in a green with dark stripes pattern) reeled slowly along the bottom. Got a hit at first and lost the tail on one storm. Noticed that it was not a clean cut like a bluefish would make but was shredded. Thought it could be a weakfish, fluke or stargazer. Anyway it turned out to be fluke I guess. Saw some small fluke being picked up by the baitfishermen on the Pt. Pleasant side. A little seaweed in the water but not too bad. Tide had just slacked when I left.
Saw another fisherman pick up two short fluke on a small white twister tail. Tried some Gulp red worms with a twister tail with no luck.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 08:56:37 PM by fishinglifer »
Either we are alone in the universe or we are not! Either case is overwhelming!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Manasquan Inlet Report - 7-7-08
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 09:02:10 PM »
Nice report and good scouting job. Lotsa info to digest here.  TT^

Keep them reports coming.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline njdevil

• Skip work and fish.
  • Boat Name NJDEVIL
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 09:19:28 PM »
Nice report

NJDEVIL  >:D
A good friend will bail you out of jail, a true friend will be sitting along side of you and say " Man that was fun"

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 11:29:51 PM »
Thanks for the report.  Thats what we are all about... chrz
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline fishinglifer

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 08:40:59 PM »
Here's a pic of the fluke that took the Storm.

Offline wink_man

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 08:48:44 PM »
Good report, and good try, the fishing has been slow in the whole area with that dratted south wind, it just doesn't want to quit. Crabbers must be doing real well by the Mantaloking bridge. For the past week and a half, every trip I've made to the canal, I go over the Mantaloking bridge, and there is not a parking space to be had there, even weekdays.

Garry

Offline fishinglifer

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 08:53:35 PM »
I went over on a Monday and there was only one spot left. Lots of crabs being taken but they didn't seem too large.

I am surprised to not find bluefish in the inlet on an outgoing to low tide.
Where are the weakfish.

Here is a great shot of the jetty at Manasquan.

Offline wink_man

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 09:11:52 PM »
I went over on a Monday and there was only one spot left. Lots of crabs being taken but they didn't seem too large.

I am surprised to not find bluefish in the inlet on an outgoing to low tide.
Where are the weakfish.

Here is a great shot of the jetty at Manasquan.

Great picture, I love the angle the shot was taken at, shows it to a real advantage.

I have no clue where the weakfish are, haven't seen one in the area yet this season. I know of one confirmed catch of a 9 pounder, in the surf at Point about 3 weeks ago. I heard that the gill netters had a field day with the weakies outside the inlet in late April, but don't know how true that is. All I know is that I am starting to forget what a weakfish looks like, it's been that bad around here.

Blues are not always at the inlet, they tend to run up and down the river and canal, back to the inlet, etc. Trouble with them is that they always seem to be whereever I am, and chop up my Fin-S fish to pieces.

Garry

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 10:08:15 PM »
fishing,

hopefully it will pick up soon.. im a big manasquan inlet guy... im there alot, not so much this year but i will be.. lots of shorties bein taken right now, and an occasional small blue
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline striperdad

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 10:18:14 PM »
Have you seen that 72ft. clam boat off the north jetty. We almost got up close and personal with it in the fog Monday.

Offline fishinglifer

Manasquan Inlet Report - 7-11-08
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 11:12:51 AM »
Went down to the canal on Friday. Got there about 5:30pm. Water was still coming in too fast. Fished the East side of the canal and the sun was blazing hot. Just a couple of other fishermen besides me all catching nothing. Too many boats shooting through the inlet.

Went to Manasquan Inlet and met up with a friend who has been catching quite a lot of short fluke on gulp baits. I tried on the bottom for fluke on the ocean side of the jetty and got the skunk. A little too much weed in the water which was outgoing.

Moved in along the rail at about 7:30pm where a lot of people were fishing by the west end. Caught about 8 blues on rubber then called it a night. Just at dark a lot of shad where bumping/hitting the lure. Had to work a little for the bluefish. A lot of boat traffic in the inlet.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 11:14:34 AM by fishinglifer »

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-