Author Topic: Baitcasting Reel  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Baitcasting Reel
« on: August 02, 2008, 07:00:17 PM »
I am just full of questions today  ;)!

I am shopping for a baitcasting reel for freshwater.  I have NEVER used a baitcaster before.  I have always used a spinning reel.  Of course, I have used spincasting reels before and use the right hand retrieve.  I am right handed.  Should I get a right handed or left handed baitcaster??

Sounds like an easy answer, but what I am concerned about is that from always spinfishing, I always cast with my right hand and retrieve with my left hand.  Should I keep doing it that way or go to the right handed retrieve??

Also any suggestions on good beginner baitcaster reels.  I am not even sure I will like it or not?!?!

TIA!

TT^

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
Re: Baitcasting Reel
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 06:33:13 AM »
 i cast and retrieve spinning reels the same way. i bought a left handed baitcaster and it is not the same. could not get used to it and felt extremely odd to reel in. i think it was because of the smaller handle radius on the baitcaster compared to the spinner, but cant say for sure.

might work out for you, but a nogo for me,,,

grab 1 in the store, slap it on a pole and reel it in for a little bit and see if you can tell like that. if not then buy it somewhere that will not give you a hassle on a return
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 09:41:26 AM »
Thanks for the input.  That is what I wasn't sure of. 

TT^

Offline mgm

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 11:58:43 AM »
Abu makes some decent LH baitcasters...I have a 4601 that I've had for over 15 years and has never failed me....I also use it for light saltwater.....my go to Striper and Blackfish reel is a Shimano Trinidad 401 TE

I got my first spinning reel in the 50's when they were produced with the left hand crank, and not adjustable.

Maybe it was just habit, but I love to crank a conventional reel with my left hand, so I purchase lefty models if they are available. I am not truly ambidextrous, but do a lot of things lefty that a righty does not do.

In most inshore fishing, the rod does most of the work, and for me, the dominant right hand is better working the rod for a hard running bluefish or striper than the reverse.

In the final analysis, it is personal preference, not a hard fast formula.
" The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses. "

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 12:13:09 PM »
Thanks!!  I am just going to have to give it a try??  Logically the way I look at it is that if I cast with my right hand, I don't want to have to change the rod to my left hand to reel it in.  I think I can reel in lefty, but I don't know about casting lefty...that could be a funny show  rofla!  Again, this is only logically...theoretically, I will have to try it out.

THANKS!!

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 01:03:27 AM »
I have a Shimano Bantam Magmumlite 2000GT, Titaniumreel marched with a Fenwick Graphite 5' pistol grip rod.  Real nice setup once you get use to the baitcaster.  The reel is a right hand retrieve as you would switch the rod over to the left hand tcrank with your right hand.

I have had this for well over 20 years as it was one of the first magnet assisted reels out on the market.  Today the magnet assist reels are the way to go as it takes the guess work out of the birds nest problem. Plus the castability is fantastic.

Do yourself a favor find someone that is willing to let you try it and then decide.  Being you live in TR I think you said give me a call or PM me and I will let you try my outfit.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 02:12:31 PM »
Thanks Paul!  I may definitely have to take you up on that offer!!

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 02:18:53 PM »
Any time just give me a call...732-684-0385
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 02:35:48 PM »
It may seem weird but I use LH dand RH for different situations...

When baitfishing such as drifting for fluke I'm more comfortable holding the rod in my right hand. I felt that I'd lose a fish once in a while when making the transfer to my left hand to fight the fish. Because of this I have a LH Abu on one of my rods and will probably switch over more.

For casting and retriving lures such as freshwater Bass and Pike fishing, I think it's more comfortable and quiker to reel with my right hand.

I'm right handed BTW...

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 02:56:22 PM »
The RH/LH retrieve question is one I was called upon to answer often when selling tackle. The reason why right-hand retrieve baitcasters  often feel more natual for a righty user, is because the throw of the handle is much smaller than that of a spinning reel. While the long throw of a spinning reel requires mostly forearm motion, a baitcaster requires  more hand/wrist dexterity, that most feel easier to accomplish with their dominant hand.. When I started using baitcasters, there where very few LH retieves out there, and RH cranking was a given. If given a choice back then, I may have been inclined to train myself to use a LH retieve, as it avoids the need of switching hands after the cast..But now it feels totally foriegn to me..So in short (too late now ) I would try them both, and see what feels better..Try turning the handle fast with both..If a lefty feels ok to ya, it would likely make your life easier. As for brands, IMO the Shimano's are hard to beat in a low-profile FW baitcaster.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-