Author Topic: 7/28 LBI Report-Great day  (Read 1049 times)

Offline Captain Dave Wittenborn

• Sponsor
    • Capt Daves Charters
7/28 LBI Report-Great day
« on: July 28, 2008, 09:47:40 PM »
Fished a six hour charter today with the Levy family up from Atlanta.  We found heavy fog early on and had to delay the trip for one hour.  We decided to work a rip in the bay until the fog burned off and caught so many short fluke on the out going tide fluke that I had to go back to the dock to grab another pack of peanut bunker.  After about an hour and a half of pulling in shorts, the crew wanted to try their fly fishing gear on some blues so we headed over to grassy channel and found some small blues working the area.  We managed to land of few until the green heads started swarming around the boat like a mad beehive.  By this time the fog had burned off and we decided to try our luck in the ocean and headed to the OPT buoys.  Along the way we played around with the bunker schools and had no luck with any predators underneath.  We continued on to OPT buoys and made three drifts and again continued to have steady action of short fluke and sharks.  The family had a great day and we managed to put three keepers in the cooler for dinner and released around 35-40 flatties.  High hook was Joey who landed eleven fluke by himself.  All fluke were caught on peanut bunker and gulp minnows.

The ocean was beautiful today and I had sea temperatures of around 68 degrees.  The water looked much bluer and cleaner today.  I would say it was the best looking water I have seen all year.  Maybe an offshore eddy worked its way in but I am hoping that things might have finally turned for the better.  There was bunker pods for as far as your eyes could see.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: 7/28 LBI Report-Great day
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 10:54:50 PM »
Great day Capt Dave..  I  bailed a trip today because the green heads were sooo bad!!  I had 6-7 blood trial running down my legs..
I was changing a fuel filter.. as i was being eaten a live..  and not knowing it as i put my cowling back on whiles being attacked.. i ripped apart a plug wire.. on the way out I hit the gas to leave the swarm in the dust..  and the boat wouldn't move..  pulled the cowling to find a torn wire..  i putted back in  all along being sucked dry by these day time vampires..

I am done with that!!

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: 7/28 LBI Report-Great day
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 11:06:40 PM »
Nice report...thanks!  Maybe things are looking better?!?!

TT^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-