Author Topic: Bait choices  (Read 3263 times)

Offline RayZ

Bait choices
« on: June 25, 2007, 08:47:41 PM »
Does the choice of bait to use for a certain species change. What determines this change

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Bait choices
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 08:49:15 PM »
Does the choice of bait to use for a certain species change. What determines this change
  There are too many factors to explain.  It all depends what the fish are feeding on, you want to match the hatch for that particular time of year.  Keep changing baits every once in a while until you find one that is catching.  When I fluke, I bring squid, killies, smelts, spearing, and gulp... you never know...
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
Hi RayZ,

Yes the bait for a particular species does change and one of the leading determinations is, where or how they live.

Migratory species such as Fluke, Stripers, Blues, etc. tend to eat opportunistically. That is, they need to eat to survive so what they eat is secondary. If you open the stomach of a Striper, you are apt to find anything from juvenile fish (of all species), sand flees, clams, crabs, mussels. They need to eat.

Fish, such as Blackfish, that tend to stay in one particular area, eat the forage available in that area. That makes sense.

So what lives in a particular area. Well, structure determines that. Mussels and other shellfish love rocks, wood and metal to attach to. Squid frequent these areas to gorge themselves. What most people do not realize is how many squid and other baitfish there are in an area and how they play into the cycle.

So, if we are fishing in sand near the shoreline, like in the afternoon for fluke, the best bait is crabs, sand fleas, spearing, mullet, etc. All the critters that are in the surf zone. Things like squid play less of a diet role and act more like an attractor or tease the fish to make a "reaction strike."

If we are out on a reef, think about the ecosystem in that area, both endemic and migratory.

To me, I look at the types of mouths fish have to determine how they feed.

Fluke have sharp teeth that can rip and hold; mouths that are large; and they have great ambush ability. They tend to eat things that swim. Large things that swim. They would have no problem eatingg a large squid, snapper, spearing, bergall, etc.

Blackfish have crushing teeth for crabs, lobsters, mussels, clams, etc.

Sea Bass have small (sand paper teeth) but they have really bony structures farther in their throat so to me they shallow whole and probably are apt to strike prey that are easier to catch.

Great question and study the fish to determine baits that may work. Start by looking at how they look, especially the mouth.

Thanks,

Capt. Ed
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 09:26:09 PM by Capt. Ed »

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 09:31:18 PM »
much better said..

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 09:34:17 PM »
Hi Nick,

We can make a good team. You come up with the thoughts and I will put pretty words around it.

I would like to fish with you someday. You have it all together with figuring this out!

Hope your boat is healthy again,

Ed

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 09:35:58 PM »
well, im still waiting for the boat, as expected... where do you fish out of.. we can hook up soon.. I can use a few pointers from someone who fishes more often
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 09:44:44 PM by Luna Sea 3 »

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 09:46:30 PM »
Hi Nick,

I run the Manasquan Inlet mostly ... I hit the Barnegat Inlet for some special occasions (bonito on the Ridge). Throw in a few trips for clams near Clam Island ...

I have it pretty good ... my leisure time revolves around should I go north or south today and both are beautiful places ...

Thanks for your input ... I like reading it.

Capt. Ed

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 09:48:50 PM »
Hmmm, well, let me know if you feel like fishing north, we can take my ride out of AH and fish the hook to the rocks, or maybe hit a couple of wrecks. 

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 09:58:59 PM »
Hi,

Likewise if you want to head south.

I fished and dove the Raritan to Ambrose and south area a lot back in the day. I do not a refresher on everything past Monmouth Beach. I fished the Candlesticks last year but that was it.

Thanks for the offer and you are always welcome on my boat or at my house ...

Have fun and hope the boat gets back on its feet soon!

Ed

Offline salty pig

• the pig
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 10:19:32 PM »
Caught a short by keyport that had a pipe fish in its throat still lol .. they eat anything  ;D just an FYI
'

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-