Author Topic: Striper Clam Rig ????  (Read 3430 times)

Offline tomc76

Striper Clam Rig ????
« on: May 08, 2007, 04:04:13 PM »

For my leader, I usually just use a 3-4 ft. of 30# mono, with a fishfinder rig and a 5/0 or 6/0 baitholder hook. I’m looking for feedback regarding using a fluorocarbon leader, specifically what test, and length. Also should I be using a circle hook. Been hearing many different things, just looking for a solid opinion one way or another. Also does it matter what color the hook is? Thanks in advance…. 

Offline robsrodnreel

• Robs Rod n Reel
Re: Striper Clam Rig ????
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 04:21:31 PM »
i use 30# leader w/ fish finder but i shorten the leader from 2 to 3 feet and use circle hooks.  also in my bag ill have hook sizes from 4/0 to 7/0's.   

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 05:04:52 PM »
that sounds about correct.  With a fishfinder rig, you can keep a shorter leader because if you want to extend the distance of the leader, just let out a few more feet of line after you take the slack out.  This can only be done with a fishfinder rig.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 06:13:02 PM »
Hi,

I use flouocarbo leaders of about 36". I shorten them as the current increases.

I am a big fan of circle hooks (REAL circle hooks - inline) for stripers) as I practice catch and release only on my boats. They are not hard to use. You can use a larger hook than a 5/0 or 6/0 with circle hooks. Actually, a use 10/0 when the large stripers are around.

Thanks,

Capt. Ed

Offline GregB

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 07:42:25 PM »
I usually use 50 lb fluorocarbon leaders on fishfinders. Although never proven to me, I have always heard striper's can get line shy. So, I experiment and try different leaders if the bite isn't happening, I may downsize leaders. Also, always look for nicks in the flouro and change out if they get nicked. The heavy leader is great for structure fishing but nicks show up under water and you loose the "invisibility". That said I have seen very big bass caught on regular mono leaders so who knows? I just like increasing my chances.
"The Fourth Dependent"

Offline tomc76

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 10:39:09 PM »
Thanks for the reponses, I might give the circle a shot, also gonna give a flouro leader a shot also. t^

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 05:32:25 PM »
Floro is the way to go! <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Capt Craig

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 08:39:40 AM »
I think circle hooks are the way to go. Its easier to get them on the hook and once on  they tend to stay buttoned. Plus if you get into smaller fish your not going to gut hook  and kill them. In the early part of the spring I'll use 5/0's and lighter tackle. As we get into May I jump up to 8/0's and heavier tackle,with bigger fish around and the chance of getting into a nice Drum fish on the Delaware Bay. I use a Fish finder rig w/30 or  40lb test. When we get into May  I'll go up to 50lb with the chance of getting big Drum. I am not so sure how leader shy Bass are but I will put out a 5 rod spread some with floro some mono. I need to say that I have caught as many Bass on mono as Floro over the years. Who knows? 

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 10:33:19 AM »
i have a bad habit with the circle hooks, I am not patient enough.  What I do is use the J hooks, If I find myself gut hooking some fish, then I switch to the circle.  I want to make sure I get a few in the boat before I start experimenting.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-