Author Topic: Light Tackle Trolling For Stripers  (Read 10376 times)

Offline T-Man

• Sponsor
Light Tackle Trolling For Stripers
« on: March 18, 2008, 06:32:49 PM »
Years ago I trolled umbrellas and jigs on wire or leadcore. But since I started the business I have gotten addicted to light tackle trolling with braided line outfits. I use Daiwa SG27LCA Linecounter Reels with 7' One Piece Daiwa Interline Rods SLXB701MF-1.

I find outfits like this to be excellent for Tube & Worm & Spoon & Worm trolling. And because they are loaded with braid, I can use the same outfit for fluke, blacks, scup and even three waying eels if I'm not using to much weight.

I troll a lot of shoreline areas and on the inshore reefs of LIS.

I use my quick change keels to adjust the amount of weight and get down to the fish. I troll in waters from 6ft to 50ft with 40lb braid and NO WIRE or LEADCORE.

Speed is an important element and a good rule of thumb is 2mph or less. Of course you have to compensate in strong currents but 2mph to 1.5mph is what your shooting for.

Here's a picture of the tube & keel system.... the keel unclips and alows you to change the size of the egg sinker.

I tip the tubes and spoons with a variety of baits with a piece of fresh sandworm being the most productive.

Here's a cool pic of a young charter client who nailed this 20+lb bass in only 6ft of water.

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
Re: Light Tackle Trolling For Stripers
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 06:46:33 PM »
I spoke with you at the show this past weekend. I also picked a few of your set ups, Can't wait to give them a try.
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline T-Man

• Sponsor
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 06:49:05 PM »
I spoke with you at the show this past weekend. I also picked a few of your set ups, Can't wait to give them a try.

Wow that's very cool... I hope I took the time to speak with you a while. I was all alone in the booth and the show was jamming all 3 days.

Let me know if you have any questions once you give it a try!

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 08:35:59 PM »
Yup, not much of that type of fishing in Raritan bay (no one I hspoken does any of it).

I am game to try it out.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 09:32:18 PM »
nice picture
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline rugman

• Super Hero Member
  • ARTY'S CARPET SERVICE
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 09:34:16 PM »
 t^ t^
Arty's Carpet Service.

For all your carpet needs RUGMAN7092@OPTONLINE.NET

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 12:54:28 PM »
I am game to try it out.

Yep me too. Thanks for the info and pix. Dam monel is too kink prone and just a PITA IMO

Offline shucker

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 06:55:18 PM »
The tube and worm can be used on the keyport and belford flats in less then 10'of water.Bombers slow trolled in these areas is also very good for bass and big weaks in the spring t^

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 07:10:56 PM »
Great topic.  We need more topics like this..  t^

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 07:37:27 PM »
I'm interested and will give it a shot.Can you give more detail on the placement of the keel,like how far up the leader to the barrel in incehes, and length and type of leader mono or florocarb.Also what length and diameter tubes and what type hook. They look like extra long shank offsets.   Thanks, AJ

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 08:17:14 PM »
I spoke to you at the show too, I kept your card and will be ordering some rigs soon! chrz
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline T-Man

• Sponsor
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 08:22:57 PM »
I'm interested and will give it a shot.Can you give more detail on the placement of the keel,like how far up the leader to the barrel in incehes, and length and type of leader mono or florocarb.Also what length and diameter tubes and what type hook. They look like extra long shank offsets.   Thanks, AJ

It's a real simple set-up. I use 40lb braid tied to the front swivel of the keel (slanted end) the a 3 ft piece of fluorocarbon leader to my tube or spoon. The tubes I make and the spoons I make are low "drag" lures which make them Ideal for light tackle outfits.

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 04:54:44 PM »
T Man, Cool. I have had some beauties on the rubber worms and eels.

Offline DarthBaiter

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 10:05:21 PM »
T-man, I got my package today. Three day turn around including Sunday.  t^  Now that's fast shipping.  t^
Gonna head out Weds morning and troll on down to the Raritan Bay.  t^

Offline T-Man

• Sponsor
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 03:02:29 AM »
DB,

Let me know how you make out, Remember low and slow is the game 2mph on your gps.

Offline DarthBaiter

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 05:31:46 PM »
Just got back from a wet and rainy week in Orlando. 
But before I left, I got a chance to try the light gear trolling in the Lower NY harbour and past the V.Z. Bridge. Had a few blues and that was it.
I do have a question though...
Against tide it was easy doing 1.5 to 2 MPH, but with tide I couldn't keep my boat under 4mph. Am I not to troll with the current? I thought about it and figured the fishes would be facing the current and my tubes would come from their behind. Is this a no no? I ask because all my blues hit when I was trolling with the current...but maybe that was due to the 3-4mph speed?
Thoughts?

Offline T-Man

• Sponsor
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2008, 06:18:37 PM »
When there is current I troll with it 90% of the time. You need to calculate your dead drift speed to componsate.

If when your boat is in neutral you are drifting at 2mph you can troll WITH the current up to 4mph or 2 mph over your dead drift speed.

So find your dead drift speed and pull the tubes up to 2mph faster with the current. Don't worry about which way the fish are facing, theywill find your offerings.

T-Man

Offline DarthBaiter

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 02:17:38 PM »
When there is current I troll with it 90% of the time. You need to calculate your dead drift speed to componsate.

If when your boat is in neutral you are drifting at 2mph you can troll WITH the current up to 4mph or 2 mph over your dead drift speed.

So find your dead drift speed and pull the tubes up to 2mph faster with the current. Don't worry about which way the fish are facing, theywill find your offerings.

T-Man
GOod to know. That means if I'm trolling iwth the tide, my cheap auto piolt can steer for me.   TT^
Gotta work this week but will be out first thing next week to try out some new areas..

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-