Author Topic: my rod and reel combos  (Read 1718 times)

Offline maldonw

• Full Member of the Den
my rod and reel combos
« on: August 29, 2008, 10:31:30 AM »
 grtnhey guys just looking for some feedback on the the gear i got over at alex b&t
for fluke i have been using an okums metallix brand rod and reel combo the rod id rated for 6-15lbs (if im reading it correctly) and the reel is also an okums metallix model mt-40.

yesterday i picked up a tice tc2 graphite 8ft rod rated at 6-17lbs and a shimano sedona 4000fb reel for stripers when they start rolling around.
 what do you guys think? thanks

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Re: my rod and reel combos
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 02:54:20 PM »
What size line do you have on the Sedona? 

Offline maldonw

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 05:23:28 PM »
you know it was one of the things i overlooked and forgot to ask .i did tell him i wanted it for stipers and blues .i would assume he put on a strong enough line

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 11:33:17 PM »
I just checked out that model it is rated for 10/200 and I am assuming that is mono. Did they put on mono or braid?  If they put on 30# braid PP you probably are OK as that is the same size as 8# mono.  If they put on the mono rated at 10# you are probably going to be a little light.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline maldonw

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 11:53:25 AM »
I just checked out that model it is rated for 10/200 and I am assuming that is mono. Did they put on mono or braid?  If they put on 30# braid PP you probably are OK as that is the same size as 8# mono.  If they put on the mono rated at 10# you are probably going to be a little light.
mono or braid 5hrug  5hrugi dont know what that means can you explain ( sorry im a rookie here) but i will ask tomorrow when i go to the inlet in the morning . hopefully i will have some luck tomorrow

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 12:54:21 PM »
mono or braid 5hrug  5hrugi dont know what that means can you explain ( sorry im a rookie here) but i will ask tomorrow when i go to the inlet in the morning . hopefully i will have some luck tomorrow

The combo you bought should be fine.  However, I probably would have opted for a slightly bigger reel.

Braid vs. Mono

Braided line (braid) is made up of multiple polyethylene fibers that are woven together.  It feels like string.  It has almost zero stretch and is stronger per diameter than monofilament.

Monofilament line (mono) is made of extruded nylon.  It feels like more like plastic and is considerably more stretchy than braid.

That's the reason I asked what type of line you had on the Sedona.  The spool on that model is rather narrow and it really isn't designed to handle more than 12 lb. mono.  Due to the material it is made of, mono tends to take a set on the spool.  On that size reel anything over 12 lb. test will probably result in tight coils.  This can affect your casting distance and also lead to other line problems (tangling, bird's nests, etc.).

For that size reel, braid may be the better choice, since a 4000 size spool can easily accommodate 20 lb. test braid.

On my 8' surf rod (which is also rated to 17 lb. line) I have a Shimano Stradic FI 5000 size reel with 20 lb. braid.

Hope that helps.  Good luck! ;D

-Bob

Offline maldonw

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 09:32:48 PM »

The combo you bought should be fine.  However, I probably would have opted for a slightly bigger reel.

Braid vs. Mono

Braided line (braid) is made up of multiple polyethylene fibers that are woven together.  It feels like string.  It has almost zero stretch and is stronger per diameter than monofilament.

Monofilament line (mono) is made of extruded nylon.  It feels like more like plastic and is considerably more stretchy than braid.

That's the reason I asked what type of line you had on the Sedona.  The spool on that model is rather narrow and it really isn't designed to handle more than 12 lb. mono.  Due to the material it is made of, mono tends to take a set on the spool.  On that size reel anything over 12 lb. test will probably result in tight coils.  This can affect your casting distance and also lead to other line problems (tangling, bird's nests, etc.).

For that size reel, braid may be the better choice, since a 4000 size spool can easily accommodate 20 lb. test braid.

On my 8' surf rod (which is also rated to 17 lb. line) I have a Shimano Stradic FI 5000 size reel with 20 lb. braid.

Hope that helps.  Good luck! ;D

-Bob
got it i figured thats what mono and braid was . im heading out to the inlet tomorrow i will double check what the guy at alex B&T put on . thanks for all the help t^ .im trying to break my bad luck of zero fish caught

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-