Author Topic: High Tide Vs Low Tide  (Read 3417 times)

Offline Bobby Wilds

• AKA abitskrewd
High Tide Vs Low Tide
« on: September 21, 2008, 10:43:24 PM »
just throwing out a question to you all.  which do you prefer to fish from the surf?  and, is that what you mostly take into consideration when choosing your fishing, or is time of day more important?  and why if you dont mind getting into it.  thanks

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: High Tide Vs Low Tide
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 11:26:13 PM »
You should get a wide variety of opinions on this one.  Personally It does not matter to me as I go whenever I get the urge.  I have caught fish on both and have fished all the possible combos when you take in the tides, day or night, Hi or Lo barometer, rough seas calm seas west wind east wind it does not make to much difference if the fish are there and they are on the bite you will catch no matter what.

I fish for the fun of the sport and for the ability to just be out there feeling alive and doing something instead of being in the studio all day.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 07:02:54 AM »
from what I have heard in the past, if your surf fishing low tide, you can wade deeper into the water which will allow you to cast further past the breakers.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline adesai73

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 12:34:37 PM »
there's also those spots (southern raritan bayshore) that get so skinny at low tide that you have to wade a 1/4 mile out before finding any fishable water.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 01:01:48 PM »
If you know how to work the tide during different times of the year it is all good.

For instance right now with the migration starting and all the bait leaving the inlets try the out going tide as that is when the mullet, spearing and the peanut bunker are all heading east.

They will be pushed up close to the beaches followed by the blues and some stripers.  Especially with this NE wind.  Your best bet would be on the north side of the jetty's in the pocket so to speak.

This wind will persist till the weekend where we might be looking at rain plus the NE wind.  It is not the best weather to fish in but it sure is the most productive.

Good Luck

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 02:00:37 PM »
 i've found low tide a great time to work small pockets of holes and draws through the sandbar to produce while everyone else is just sitting around doing nothing.

read the water and you'll do better than the guy sitting on a flat in 1foot of water without a clue, regardless of the tide.
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline dikdanger

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 03:02:56 PM »
i have always preferred the OUTGOING tide...

but i have caught in every possible condition, tide, etc...  its all about putting your time in...  if there fish are there... they will bite...
Fishey Fishey in the bay... Come and bite my Hook TODAY !!!

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 06:05:22 PM »
This is a great question!!  I don't have much to add, just my personal preferences!  I fish whenever I can.  I try to go during incoming because the water is deeper closer to the beach.  I also like to fish high tide at dawn and high tide at dusk.  With that being said, there are certainly some places where the water is deeper even at low tide and will give you a good opportunity to fish in a calmer surf.  Low tide also shows you structure better and you can really work a hole or pocket, etc...

I just fished the last 2 days when I could, one day was outgoing almost at salck and today was incoming into high tide.  It is always worth a try whenever you can get out to fish.

TT^

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 09:19:26 PM »
i agree with reel time!! some of my best fishing has been at low tide, read the water..

Offline Bobby Wilds

• AKA abitskrewd
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 01:24:29 PM »
thanks for all the imput.  i do know about reading the water, which has helped me.  over the last 2 weeks i was able to get out and find myself some good low tide beaches as well as some that are worthless unless the water is up.  all about time spent working the beach.  thanks again.

Offline dikdanger

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 01:27:19 PM »
mix your time put in on the beach... time put in doin your homework... and some luck... and whatchya get is a keeper to bring home and throw on the grill.... yum yum...
Fishey Fishey in the bay... Come and bite my Hook TODAY !!!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-