Author Topic: Blackfish rigs  (Read 23803 times)

Offline bpac

Blackfish rigs
« on: September 12, 2008, 10:25:29 AM »
Hello everyone. I am new to site as well as Blackfishing. I have been on about 6 charter trips. The mate usually ties the rigs for me as a single or tandem rig. I will be using a 7' rod XH with #40 Powerpro and about 20-25' of shock leader. I have been doing research on "No hardware rigs" so that I can tie my own rigs and would like to know if anyone would be able to provide me with their experiences pro's/con's on the following:

1-Tying a snelled hook to the bottom and a breakaway sinker on the dropper loop.

2-Attaching the hook to the dropper and the sinker on the bottom.

3-Distance from the bottom of the rig to the hook or sinker?

4-How to attach a second hook (slider) above a snelled hook on the bottom. I saw a post where it was said if the Blackfish misses or takes the first bait he will hit the second hook.(Diagram if possible, knots, and distances)

5-It has been told to me that I should not attach the hook to the dropper because it can break off. Is this true?

I appreciate any help you can provide

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Re: Blackfish rigs
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 11:21:06 AM »
Welcome to the site BPAC! t^  Like you I enjoy blackfishing, but haven't had a chance to do a lot of it.  We have folks on here that really know their toggin'!  I'm sure they'll be posting soon with answers to your questions. ;D

-Bob

Offline mgm

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 11:27:33 AM »
There is a whole sticky topic on Blackfishing tackle, etc. in Tip, Tricks.......lots of info by some of the best blackfishermen in the state.

http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?topic=3711.0
" The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses. "

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 01:05:28 PM »
I reloaded most of the pics in that topic so they should show up now TT^

I've tried a variety of ways rigging up for blackfish.  Certain locations and conditions warrant using different styles of rigging, but most of the time I go with the double hook rig aka the snafu rig.  Intended to fish a whole crab but you can also fish both hooks in a half or a sperate piece on each.

Early on in the season, like now, I'd probably start out with a single hook rig in a smaller size like a Gami oct 3/0.

XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline bpac

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 01:57:16 PM »
Thanks again - just trying to learn a bit by bit. I will let you know how I do when I go out and what I used.  t^

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 04:18:00 PM »
I reloaded most of the pics in that topic so they should show up now TT^

I've tried a variety of ways rigging up for blackfish.  Certain locations and conditions warrant using different styles of rigging, but most of the time I go with the double hook rig aka the snafu rig.  Intended to fish a whole crab but you can also fish both hooks in a half or a sperate piece on each.

Early on in the season, like now, I'd probably start out with a single hook rig in a smaller size like a Gami oct 3/0.

Thanks Mike!!>  that is one great topic!!..  We took a beatin on the server move rgmn ..  but well worth it.

Welcome to the site bpac t^

When you get a chance. post your location in your profile.

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 12:07:34 PM »
Sunday I tried single hook and snafu rigs.  Missed a few bites and had a short on the single hook.  Had the keeper and two other shorts on the snafu.  Did fish a half of a small greenie on each hook though t^

XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline bpac

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 12:25:55 PM »
Interesting to know that you had a fish on each rig. How did you rig the single rig? Did you attach a snelled hook to the looper? I am not going to attempt the Snafu rig. I don't know the areas the Capt. takes us to, but we catch them on half crabs.

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 12:35:28 PM »
Welcome to the site, plenty of blackfishing tips here as you see.
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline bpac

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 12:44:10 PM »
Thank you

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 03:12:05 PM »
I got bit by the blackfish bug maybe 10 years ago and seriously liked to target them.  I experimented with a bunch of rigs and made up some of my own two-hook style ones.  of course nothing new and others have been tying them from before I was born rgmn

I started going on the Ocean Eagle out of Sheepshead Bay, NY.  While I fished with some guys that I consider tog sharpies, the guys on there are truly the cream of the crop when it comes to catching blackfish.  There I was shown the power of the snafu rig.  It's basically just a 24"+ piece of heavy stick mono, a hook snelled on each end, and a dropper somewhere just off center of the middle between the two hooks.

As pictured in that other blackfish thread, I make a loop at the end of my mono leader, put sinker on, and then attach the snafu dropper loop above the sinker, maybe 3-4" above. 

Generally the snafu is used to fish larger whole crabs like "whiteleggers" but can be used to fish a half on each.

The single rig I used was a 3/0 Gami octopus hook snelled onto 60# mon leader material.  Overall length when done was about 8-10".  This gets attached the same way as I mentioned above and shown in the other topic with pics.

Basically want the bait to be able to hang below the sinker.  Some place you'll want the hook/rig leader longer and/or higher.  Depends on bottom structure, current conditions, and bite of the day.

Some places a hi-lo style rig with the hooks just threaded on to droppers right off the maine leader/mono running line works best. 5hrug

Yon can make a dropper in your line and attach the snelled hook to it dropper-to-dropper loop style.  Works and I've used it plenty, however I like the other style I mentioned better.  Seems a bit stronger overall IMHO.

Some days halves work better, sometime with legs on, other days legs off.  Sometimes a specific color of greenie is better...which has alot to do with their "crunchiness" or hardness.  Red is crunchy, whitish green is soft.  Oh, and then male or female crabs may work better...so many lil nuances  t^

XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline brickken

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 10:53:58 PM »
gottog;

Nice post with great detail and thought process on why... t^

Thanks for the info...

BTW -nice pic also
Ken

"The Taylor Vee"
Wellcraft Coastal 360

Offline bpac

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 08:29:00 PM »
Thanks again for all the great info. If I use a #50 shock leadr 20' make a perfection or surgeons knot at the end I would still be unsure on how to connect a snelled hook 12" to the dropper.  ??? I see you mentioned dropper to dropper - but I've never done it and unless I see it I wouldn't know how. How would I attach a single hook without a dropper to the shock leader? Is there such a rig that is made that way? What would be the knot and height away from the sinker. 

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 08:31:43 PM »
Take a look at this thread.  Gottog has some pics and illustrations of his rigs.

http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?topic=3711.0

Hope this helps, if not, I am sure he will answer your questions!

TT^

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 04:57:44 PM »
Thanks again for all the great info. If I use a #50 shock leadr 20' make a perfection or surgeons knot at the end I would still be unsure on how to connect a snelled hook 12" to the dropper.  ??? I see you mentioned dropper to dropper - but I've never done it and unless I see it I wouldn't know how. How would I attach a single hook without a dropper to the shock leader? Is there such a rig that is made that way? What would be the knot and height away from the sinker. 

If you make a dropper loop in the leader/main line right above the loop for the sinker, maybe a few inches up, you take the loop at the end of the snelled hook and stick the drooper through that. Then take hook end and pull through dropper loop and tighten.

Others tie the dropper in their main leader/line and just slip it through the eye of a hook.

You could always just uise a 3way swivel but I prefer to use as little of hardware as possible.
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline The Broken One

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 05:16:10 PM »
this may help...
"When the game is over, the kings and the pawns go back in the same box"

Offline bpac

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 10:17:46 AM »
 t^Thanks I have seen these rigs. What is your experience fishing the first single hook low as opposed to the hook high? What is the general length of the leader to the hook. And, is the snelled hook attached to a dropper on the main line? Gottog said he doesn't like to attach the hook to the dropper becasue it may break. Just trying to get different experiences. Thanks

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 11:50:22 AM »

You can make a dropper in your line and attach the snelled hook to it dropper-to-dropper loop style.  Works and I've used it plenty, however I like the other style I mentioned better.  Seems a bit stronger overall IMHO.

Actually I said that about the droppers ;)

Lots of different ways to rig up, best bet is to try a few and see what works best for the way you fish.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 11:52:14 AM by gottog »
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline SnoopyGirlT

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 12:39:22 PM »
Pink braid helps too t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-