Author Topic: Is there any reason...  (Read 2526 times)

Offline Angela Rose Charters

• Angela Rose Charters
Is there any reason...
« on: May 10, 2007, 09:47:17 PM »
It seems like all the stipers are being caught in the norther and southern part of the state. I haven't heard any great news from Shark River south to Old Barney? Is there any reason why these fish don't want to come to the center of the state?

Your opinions! ???

Team Luna Sea 3 / Angela Rose
1st Annual Fluke Tourny 3rd Place Winners

2nd NJSWF.com Fluke-a-thon 4th Place Winners

Offline mad8713

Re: Is there any reason...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 10:16:29 PM »
anthony

Raritan is the mouth of the hudson river.  Major spawning grounds for stripers.  I believe your time will come.  Wait another couple of weeks for the pods of bunker to start northern migration and your time will come.  Last year some big fish were caught at the rocks from end of may to july
50 Ton master
Hi Mar Member

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 10:46:12 PM »
We forget about the Mulica also..  I wish I knew also.  I don't think I'll ever get what you guys north and south of me catch in Little Egg. They seem to be more residential

Good Question Capt

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 11:01:59 PM »
Hi All,

It is all about where the major bodies of fish are. The major bodies of fish are from the Chesapeake Bay, Hudson River and Delaware River.

It all comes down to geography after that. The southern part of the state enjoys better fishing early because of its location. I think that the water warms a bit faster south also. This is followed by the stripers exiting the Hudson into the Raritan and Sandy Hook Bays.

There are also "over-wintering fish" throughout the state in our estuaries. One of the main ones is Barnegat Bay, especially in and around Oyster Creek.

The migration map is attached ...

Thanks,

Capt. Ed

• Angela Rose Charters
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 06:53:22 AM »
I think I wrote that incorectly, I know about the migratory pattern and understand how it works...

I was basicly wondering why these fish have not entered our part of the state as of yet. We are just shy of the middle of the month and they SHOULD be here.

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 08:15:43 AM »
Hi Capt.,

Sorry ... I took the opportunity to talk about the migratory pattern for folks that may not know it.

Well, in the past week a lot of fish have moved into the area. The large biomasses still have not spwaned yet. A look at the surface water temperature charts show cool water in the rivers still.

My log book does not show any large bodies of Stripers until mid/late May and June with the run of the adult bunker.

I think the mackeral staying far offshore has something to do with this as well.

Good question!

Capt. Ed

• Angela Rose Charters
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 09:55:11 PM »

Sorry ... I took the opportunity to talk about the migratory pattern for folks that may not know it.
I think the mackeral staying far offshore has something to do with this as well.

Good question!

Capt. Ed

Hey Capt. Ed,
 Good point on taking the opportunity to tell the ones who don't know.
 What is your opinion on the mackeral staying offshore and how it effects the stripers? I never heard that before and it actually makes for a good conversation piece. 

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-