Author Topic: Aerators  (Read 4868 times)

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Aerators
« on: August 17, 2008, 10:31:56 PM »
For anyone that uses live baitfish and has to transport them or keep them in a bucket(us nonboaters  ;D), I highly recommend an aerator.  I just used one for the first time today.  Usually, I put the Flowtroll in the water and the killies or shiners die after just a couple of hours...if that long.  I think it is b/c of the change in water type and temperature.  Today, I immediately put the aerator in the bucket after leaving the bait store and NOT 1 killie died in the 4 hours I had the bait.  4 hours later they were also just as lively as when they were put in the bucket.  It was amazing!!  I didn't change the water or put the bucket in the water either.

You can get an aerator for the small bait buckets for just $7 at Walmart for their brand which works really well.  They also have other brands which go up in price to $25.  I think for long term bait keeping, one of the insulated buckets would work well too, keeping the water cooler!

I have heard of other better ways to keep bait as well, but if you keep your bait in water...an aerator is a must.  Give it a try, you'll be hooked!!

Thanks

TT^

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
Re: Aerators
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 10:54:30 PM »
 t^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 10:56:15 PM »
Another way is to make a killie cart. Take a small cooler (6 pack size), load the bottom with ice, put a wet towel over the ice and the killies on the towel. The secret to this is to not allow the killies to come in contact with any water when the ice melts or direct contact with the ice itself. Killies will last all day.

The cold temp slows down their metabolism. When you take a killie out of the cart it will be pretty much lethargic. Once it hits the water it will 'wake up' and be as good as new.  TT^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 10:59:29 PM »
Cool...thanks Capt Joe!  I knew there was another way, but I never knew the technique.  I was just so tired of dumping bait out that was dead after a very short time!!  Not that it is expensive, but limited my fishing days...so much that I will pass on bait most of the time when I go fishing. 

I think I need to invest in a small cooler!!

TT^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 01:44:43 AM »
Hey Capt Joe, do you know if a killie cart works for shiners too??

Thanks

TT^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 07:55:39 AM »
Don't know about that. The killie fish is pretty hardy. Like a timex watch, takes a ===== and keeps on tickin.  ;D

Don't know if a shiner will hold up to that or not.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 10:12:34 AM »
 t^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 01:45:53 PM »
Thanks Capt Joe!  I will stick to shiners in the flowtroll with the aerator.  They definitely don't seem as hardy as killies.

TT^

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 07:58:51 AM »
Thanks Capt Joe!  I will stick to shiners in the flowtroll with the aerator.  They definitely don't seem as hardy as killies.

TT^

nothing is as hardy as killies. 
GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 08:16:25 PM »
Don't know about that. The killie fish is pretty hardy. Like a timex watch, takes a ===== and keeps on tickin.  ;D

Don't know if a shiner will hold up to that or not.

Shiners won't last very long out of the water.  Save it for killies and eels. t^

Offline Capt.Dave

• Absecon Bay Sportsman Center
Air is what keeps bait alive !
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 06:30:32 AM »
Air is what keeps bait alive and if you want your bait to stay in water you must inject air into the water.  A battery bubble box areator is fine for a pint of minnows or a dozen finger mullet in a 5 gallon bucket.  If you want more bait get a bigger tank and better areator.  the best for my money are the Keep Alive Systems which will definately keep your bait liveler than anything else I have found.

The Keep Alive runs off 12 volts

The flow trolls are really just what they say for allowing water to flow thru while they are trolled thru the water.  The are also referred to as minnow coffins since when you pick them up with water in the bottom there is so little water that the minnows quickly exaust the available oxygen in the bucket and DIE ! 

For Killies and eels the ice method is definately the best but don't let the bait come into direct contact with the ice or melted ice water.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-