Author Topic: Casting off the Beach  (Read 7126 times)

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Casting off the Beach
« on: September 30, 2008, 07:19:14 AM »
Off the Beach Cast
by Bob D'Amico

The Off the Beach (Ground) cast is a "Power Cast" but one of the easiest surf casts you can use and under normal fishing conditions it should be your primary cast. This, like all casts, is not dependent on physical strength but on the fluid movement of your body, your EYES and the physics of centrifugal force applied to your rod over a 200° arc.

Special rods and reels are not necessary, it works equally well with fiberglas or graphite spinning and conventional tackle. Centrifugal force is the key to the OTB cast. If you use a 9 foot long rod and a 6 foot (or better) drop from your tip you are casting through a 15 foot arc! With a 10 foot rod your drop should be at least 7 feet creating a 17 foot arc.NOTE That's why the OTB is a "Power Cast."

The steps in this cast will become so natural and easy after a little practice you will be amazed with your added distance and ultimately your accuracy. It is not strictly for baitfishing, you can employ it as well when you are casting heavy jigs, bucktails and plugs. 

The OTB Cast applies hellacious force on your line, a shock leader is always a good idea. If you are using 20 pound or LOWER pound test you must use a shock leader which should be at least triple the pound test of your main line. The manufacturers of "hi-tech" braided lines also recommend a leader with their product so a shock leader is not a unique requirement. The following is for righthanded casters, if you are a southpaw just reverse the directions.

Stand squarely looking at the Water. Now place your left foot forward and lean back shifting your weight to your right foot.

Next twist at your hips so your upper body is sideways and you are looking behind you at approximately 180° (12:00).

Swing your rod back and the sinker out to the 3:00 position and rest it on the ground. Your rod should be at about 1:00 which equates to 200°

Hold your rod with the tip angled down, with your left arm higher than your right. Your right arm will naturally be lower and straight.

With your sinker on the ground and the line taut (no slack) begin the cast by rotating your body at the hips. Your arms and the rod are still back being pulled forward. You want to your arms to move upwards and come around smoothly in an upward arc.

As your body turns straight towards the water, your weight should shift forward to your left foot, pull your left arm down and in towards your chest. Push up with your right arm for some extra power as you release the line.

Keep your rod tip held high and follow through by looking at your target, the west coast of Portugal or Japan depending on, well you know!

Most people either release too early or too late causing a "shank" cast to the right or left. Keep practicing and keep in mind that the OTB cast depends on fluid smooth body movement not massive muscular strength. Take it easy, no grunting is needed!

FOOTNOTE: "...it is the custom, much to my chagrin, for surfcasters to swing their rods mightly with but 2 feet of line trailing from their tips, failing to put to work for them the laws of physics and centrifugal force, which would so enhance their casting skills. Thus, if people were fishing right in the first place, 5-foot leaders would be no handicap at all

« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 02:49:57 PM by Luna Sea 3 »
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline gagedylan

• http://www.myspace.com/husbandshatemeclub
    • facebook
Re: Casting off teh Beach
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 07:44:11 AM »
i saw a demonstration of this on another site, they had pics up to show how this technique works. i've tried it, and, not unlike in golf, when someone tells you to try a different stance, it's uncomfortable at first, but it really does improve distance with practice. but i must point out, everyone should find their own comfort zone. if the thing you love to do becomes difficult or uncomfortable, the thing tends to be less practiced. i fell for golf a few years ago, but was not very good. i picked up a few pointers at the driving ranges, but it made it less fun, as it caused me to be uncomfortable at the tees, and now i just hit the driving ranges occasionally, preferring to hit the beach with my long, more comfortable casting (and coming home with fish occasionally)
25' Chris Craft Sea Hawk W/A with twin Suzuki 140 OB

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: Casting off teh Beach
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 02:44:13 PM »
I look at it this way.  If you have to concentrate on the way you are casting and it is not natural why bother.  I can still cast out pretty far with the setups I now have and it is good enough for me to catch fish.

My form is not the greatest but I do not really care to much I am having fun and catching fish to boot.  Right now the fish are in close to the shore line so there is no need to fling the thing out far anyway.

The method I like to use is a modified swing throw.  I let the lure hang down aprox. 3 to 4 feet and let it swing like a pendulum and when I feel comfortable as the lure swings away from me at Its furthest point I let it fly.  I think I do allright and it seems to allow me the added comfort of knowing I can cast it where I want it.

All the methods if they work are great you just have to find one you feel comfortable with.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Casting off the Beach
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 02:53:37 PM »
I usually let the bait hang about 4', but off the ground.. The only difference in this form is, hang 7-8' and lay the bait on the ground, take the slack out, and let it fly.  This is the biggest change, and even though I didn't think of it, its common sense. 

Larger the scope, longer distance. 

Now, I understand you don't have to cast that far this time of year, but this method will allow you to use a lighter, shorter pole.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 02:59:25 PM »
That sounds right...My go to pole is a 10' 6" and I feel real comfortable casting the pendulum method like I said I can have better target hitting ability only because I have done it this way for years.

I was using my daughters 8 footer today for throwing light Storm Shads and I was still able to get it to where I wanted it, not as far as the longer rod but the spots up between thje bars were in my sights.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Art Berkman

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 02:59:45 PM »

Now, I understand you don't have to cast that far this time of year, but this method will allow you to use a lighter, shorter pole.

Same thing in the spring  ;)

« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 03:20:48 PM by Art Berkman »

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 06:03:08 PM »
Good info!  I definitely don't let that much line lay out though.  It looks like it certainly works and I have seen this before, I just can't imagine trying to read directions to cast while out on the beach!!  Maybe in the off season, I will try it out.

TT^

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 06:09:13 PM »
That's cool Nick! t^  It's funny.  I was just explaining and demonstrating this technique to a couple guys at work today.  It definitely works for the guys that can master it.  It does take a lot of practice. 

Me?  I'm a chucker.  Cast and wind, cast and wind! ;D

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 07:31:02 PM »
looks easy..

note.. the bait is in the yellow circle..

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 08:06:39 PM »
It does look easier than the written directions!

TT^

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 08:11:14 PM »
it seems like, just let more scope out, approx 8', lay it on the ground behind you, take the slack out, and fire away.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 08:11:53 PM »
Lots of good casting videos on youtube.  This cast is called "off the ground" on youtube, so try searching that!

TT^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 11:28:45 AM »
Anyone give this technique a try??

I tried it out over the weekend on Saturday.  It was very, very easy and worked really well on certain types of lures.  The powercast worked best for me with weights that my rod did not normally throw well.  Any weight out of the "sweet" spot, this cast added a lot of distance.  It also depended on the lures.  This cast really launches the AVA's and metals out there.  It was dark so it was hard to estimate how much it increased my cast, but I would guess at least 50 feet.  There were times I wasn't having any problems clearing the last set of breakers at all ;D

I am sure for someone heaving 6nbait or 8nbait out, this cast would be perfect.  Like the article said, make sure you have a little higher # test line or a shock leader and make sure your knots are strong, b/c there is quite a lot of force put on the setup and rig when powercasting.

Good Luck!

TT^

Offline dikdanger

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 03:19:11 PM »
i have a cast that is similiar to the "powercas"...  i tried getten my cuzn into casting long and stretched out... but he casts very square and tight... and ya know what... after a year of doin it his way... with lil effort... he gets that friggen bait way the hell out...

it just goes to show ya... be open to trying new techniques... but dont give up on your own way of doin things sometimes...
Fishey Fishey in the bay... Come and bite my Hook TODAY !!!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-