Author Topic: Storm Shads?  (Read 2923 times)

Offline shkbilly

Storm Shads?
« on: October 15, 2008, 06:13:22 PM »
A co-worker gave me a bunch of fishing tackle that he doesnt use anymore. He gave me a few packages of storm shads that I have no idea how to use. Can someone explain?
Bill
After Ours - 20' Grady Overnighter

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
Re: Storm Shads?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 06:39:44 PM »
A co-worker gave me a bunch of fishing tackle that he doesnt use anymore. He gave me a few packages of storm shads that I have no idea how to use. Can someone explain?

Ok, storm shads are a great lure.  they work even better with teasers.  If you run a search on teaser rigs you will come up with plenty.  I find they work best on the bottom, if you are fishing from land.  Like most lures, they do very well around structure.  Scenting them with Seabait really helps.
GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 02:03:24 AM »
Congratulations on your newly inherited toys!  TT^  The Storm Wildeye Shads as well as others like them, i.e. Tsunami Swim Shads, Calcutta Flashfoil Shads and even the plain old Sassy Shads are killer baits.  They are effective on just about everything that swims.  But, they are especially deadly for stripers!

I remember back around 2002 when the Storms first hit the market.  I was running a bait and tackle on LBI.  It was very early spring when a couple of customers stopped in to ask if we had them in.  "What?"  "Huh?" "What are they?" were my responses.  The reason is, that past winter I had attended about four different wholesale tackle shows to write my orders for the new season.  Well, out of all those shows and all that tackle, I missed these little beauties.  And when it comes to new tackle, I don't miss much! ;)

Well, after a few customer inquiries and checking out these new lures on-line, I called one of my distributors to place an order.  The problem was, there were none to be had.  Nobody had them in stock. Apparently after they made their debut at some of the popular off season retail fishing expos, folks were buying them up so fast, Rapala (which owns Storm Baits) could not keep up with demand.  In fact, they had to set up another factory in China just to try to keep up with the orders they already had!

I got on a waiting list. :P  After a couple of weeks I finally received a small portion of my order.  About a dozen packs of the 5" shads in blue shad color.  Around that time there was a fairly decent striper bite that had been going on the past couple of nights right down the street.  So, I sold my first pack of these to myself and went out with them that night.  After about three casts, BANG! I hooked a fat striper!  I nailed around a half dozen chunky fish in the 8 to 10 lb. range that night on them.  Needless to say, I was hooked on Storm Shads and I still am! ;D

As with many lures you can fish them quite a few different ways and catch fish.  However, IMO, the most effective way to fish these baits is to just use a nice, slow, steady retrieve.  After you cast it out let it sink to where it is just off the bottom and reel just fast enough to keep it there.  If you're in a situation there is a current, cast it up and across the current and let it swim with it as you keep your line tight.  At the point when the bait swings past you and you have to start reeling it back in against the current, let it sit there fighting the current for a second as you reel just fast enough to keep it off the bottom.  It is here, that you will receive a lot of strikes (just as the bait is changing direction).  After you do it a while you will feel the bait "float".  Its kind of weird to describe, but when it happens you'll understand.  And while you're understanding it, hang on, because there's a good chance your shad is going to get whacked! t^

As far as colors, I have a top three.  But I really don't think it's all that important to the fish as it is to me.  Some may argue this point, and that's fine.  My top three colors are bunker, pearl white and chartreuse.  Notice I didn't mention blue shad.  Why?  Who knows?  They caught very well for me those first few weeks before I even had another color to throw.  But, I like the way the others look better, I guess.  I throw what I have confidence in.  After you throw your new Storm Shads where they're are fish around, I'm sure you'll have confidence in the them as well.

Good luck! ;)

-Bob

Offline shkbilly

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 05:59:56 PM »
So just hook the shad on to my main line and have at it? Cast it like a lure and work a slow retrieve. Got it. Thanks guys, hope it works, not much has just yet...
Bill
After Ours - 20' Grady Overnighter

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 11:02:11 PM »
They work great....but if Mr Blue is around be lucky to last for 2 fish TT^

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 10:20:09 AM »
They work great....but if Mr Blue is around be lucky to last for 2 fish TT^

Ha Ha!  That's so true Bob.  I have a friend who decorated an entire tree outside his house with half eaten swim baits!  Everyone severed just behind the hook! rofla

Offline Capt Craig

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 09:33:03 AM »
OH yes, We use Storm Shads on the RIPS in Cape May all the time. They work well. Its another bait in the arsenal. You got to match the hatch.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 05:29:57 PM »
I Like them too, As said before, The bluefish will Bite them in half. You can also use a fluorocarbon leader for the picky Striper's.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-