Author Topic: Flurocarbon Leaders  (Read 2758 times)

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
Flurocarbon Leaders
« on: October 30, 2008, 10:51:12 AM »
What is your opinion to using flurocarbon leaders for jigging?

I needed to pick up some leader material this morning. A 50 yd. spool of #25 Berkley Triple Camo leader was $3.99 while the cheapest spool of #25 flurocarbon leader was $15.99 and that was for only 30 yds. I bought 2 spools of the Berkley  ;D.

I've been an advocate of using flurocarbon in the past but I might be having second thoughts considering the following; I've caught very well using non fluro and lets be honest there is a big price difference.

I can see using fluro for tuna but I'm starting to lean against it for inshore fishing.

What are your thoughts/opinions?

Offline Capt Craig

Re: Flurocarbon Leaders
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 11:35:30 AM »
skolmann, I don't use floro all that much. If I have some fine but I don't go out special to get it. For jigging and even when I am using live bait most of the time I use mono. I really don't think the bass are as leader sensitive as some people would have you think. If they are hungry they will eat.

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 12:35:06 PM »
Does not seem to matter much for jigging, but when I tie my Striper Clam and Eel Rigs I use strictly Fluro Carbon....... t^

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 01:10:32 PM »
I have seen the benefits fishing fluke in skinny waters but I don't know about bass? I like to take all the chances I can on improving my catch so I always use it. There certainly aren't any disadvantages I have come across.
Z

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 01:41:26 PM »
I'm with CaptBob. I use mono jigging, and floro for clams and eels. The fish hit a jig fast before it gets away, so the line does not matter. With bait, I feel they sometimes take more time to examine the meal before eating, so the low visability of florocarbon might be an advantage. 5hrug  <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 01:44:43 PM »
I believe in Flouro in certain applications.. Like when fishing clear water for sharped-eyed critters.. Always use it for Tunoids, and Steelheads..But I'm with you.. when it comes to jigging, trolling or even baitfishing for Bass and Blues, I have'nt seen enough of a difference to make it worth the the extra price over good'ol big game, or any good hard -coated mono.

Offline Salty Dog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 01:47:33 PM »
Flouro helps boost your confidence,but it drains your wallet.Years past all fish were caught on white nylon. :P

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 02:21:34 PM »
For the inshore fishing i do around here, fluro is a complete waste in my humble opinion.  Expensive, yes, but don't like the way it knots up and to me the abrasion resistance is less than regular mono.  Plus once fluro gets scuffed up it reflects more light than mono.  Weird but saw it demonstrated on some underwater video footage.

Check out ffo-tackle as they sometimes have it on sale/clearance.  Right now it seems they just have some 10# fluro on sale.

Most of my largest striped bass were caught on wire leaders intended for the yellow-eyed demons.  Fluke, I just use light #test mono leaders.  For blackfish, heck, my rigs are made out of 80# and up mono shanks. t^

Real clear shallow waters or targeting line-shy critters it will help, but for the fishing I do in these waters, never saw any advantage. 5hrug
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 07:42:01 PM »
 5hrug     Good Question. I have been thinking the same thing for a while and really can not determine if it is worth the $$. I feel, in skinny and clear water while baiting MAYBE it has some advantage.        :-\

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 12:00:42 AM »
I use it but not as often as I use to and with that in mind I have not seen any diminished catches so far off the beach.  For a while I was tying my rigs I use with teasers with fluorocarbon but again found that it did not matter so now I stick with a good quality mono and have more money for other things in the B&T's shops.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 07:56:22 AM »
As far as draining the wallet, I use Cabela's floro which is made by seaguar. I always get cabelas gift cards around christmas ;D
Z

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 09:57:53 AM »
Best prices I have found for Fluro Carbon, Braid, etc is on Ebay

Go to Ebay and then to the store of Big Fish Sports (out of Mass)....also have great deals on bulk snap swivels, swivels, hooks, etc..... t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-