Author Topic: More dumb questions from the newbie.  (Read 2278 times)

Offline shkbilly

More dumb questions from the newbie.
« on: October 28, 2008, 07:25:31 PM »
In my never ending quest for a striper, I'd like to be able to troll out and between the locations we want to fish to maximize our chances of getting somehting.

My friend has a set of the gunwale outrigger rod holders and they seem to work OK. Cheap enough for me. Next question, can I troll with a spinning reel? Have only used conventional with my friend, don't want to make a dumb mistake.

I have a bunch of shads that I know are good for trolling. Can I troll a diamond jig? Krocodile? Crippled Herring?

How can I move the shads into different water colums and how can I tell where they are actually trolling? Obviously speed has an effect as well as current, etc. Is there a ballpark answer? I know for stripers you want to be ultra slow. (so I've heard)

Any other tips??
Bill
After Ours - 20' Grady Overnighter

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
Re: More dumb questions from the newbie.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 09:05:51 PM »
I wouldn't recommend trolling with spinning gear. Too much line twist.

I'd place a Drone or Clark Spoon in place of a Diamond jig/Krocodile spoon/Crippled Herring down the center of a shad/umbrella rig.

To change the depth at which your rigs are at add/subtract weight.

Offline Capt Craig

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 08:17:57 AM »
I think your better off with conventional gear also. When I troll I use umbrella rigs just off the bottom, and I do mean just off the bottom. I have also had good results using stretches. As far as the speed, Slow. I just bump it in and out of gear. Bump it in just to get you moving and right back to neutral and coast a bit, bump it in and out so you are just moving. The bass will hit an easy target before one that will take effort. Good Luck

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 09:13:23 PM »
In my never ending quest for a striper, I'd like to be able to troll out and between the locations we want to fish to maximize our chances of getting somehting.

My friend has a set of the gunwale outrigger rod holders and they seem to work OK. Cheap enough for me. Next question, can I troll with a spinning reel? Have only used conventional with my friend, don't want to make a dumb mistake.

I have a bunch of shads that I know are good for trolling. Can I troll a diamond jig? Krocodile? Crippled Herring?

How can I move the shads into different water colums and how can I tell where they are actually trolling? Obviously speed has an effect as well as current, etc. Is there a ballpark answer? I know for stripers you want to be ultra slow. (so I've heard)

Any other tips??
\
Spend 20 bucks on a pair of Stretch 25 or 30 plugs. they are great because you simply put them in the water and let out a pretty good amount of line, and they swim at the depth indicated in their name.2-3 mph seems good.  Conventional reels definitely better.
GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

Offline shkbilly

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 06:50:38 PM »
Ok, so against your advice I'm gonna try it tomorrow. I'm gonna put out 2 rods. One with a Stretch 25 and one with a shad umbrealla rig. Hoping for the best here. If it really doesn't work I guess I'll hafta bite the bullet.

BTW, what exactly is line twist?
Bill

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 11:37:15 PM »
Line twist is like putting your line into a electric drill and pulling the trigger for full speed and waiting for the next cast for one wicked wind knot that will cause you to cut half your line off the reel.

Just be ready for it to happen, as there is not enough tension on the line to stop it from twisting even with a swivel tied on.

Good Luck... grtn

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline shkbilly

Re: More dumb questions from the newbie TROLLING.
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 07:39:49 PM »
So trolling seemed to work out OK today. I am going to pick up the rod riggers so I can troll 4 lines. Today we trolled a stretch 25 and an umbrealla shad rig. They both had hookups.

I think I may be pulling it to high though. I've been reading on using drail weights with umbrellas to get them down. Can someone explain where to tie them on? The stretch did fine on its own.

I also tried to troll some crippled herrings as well as some clark style spoons. Again, I don't feel they were deep enough to do any good.

I am using 30 lb braid on both. Then I used a 2 ft wire leader to protect against blues, then the lure. On the umbrella, I clipped it right to the swivel on the main line.

Right/wrong? Tips? It seemed to work OK but I feel I can improve.
Bill

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 09:05:54 PM »
On my shad umbrella I usually run a clark spoon down the middle about 3-4 feet back. Use a 60-80# mono leader and you should be fine with any blue that takes it. The length of the spoon will typically keep the blue's teeth from the line. I also use the same leader ahead of the umbrella, about 8-10 feet.

Put your weight ahead of your leader. Use a long enough leader so the weigh does not hinder the action of the rig you are dragging behind it.

Works for me anyway.  TT^

For stripers you want to be CLOSE to the bottom. For blues...they can be anywhere in the water column.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 06:17:58 AM »
Be carefull trolling 4 lines, your lines will cross more often and when you have a fish on, clearing the other lines will take longer.

So trolling seemed to work out OK today. I am going to pick up the rod riggers so I can troll 4 lines. Today we trolled a stretch 25 and an umbrealla shad rig. They both had hookups.

I think I may be pulling it to high though. I've been reading on using drail weights with umbrellas to get them down. Can someone explain where to tie them on? The stretch did fine on its own.

I also tried to troll some crippled herrings as well as some clark style spoons. Again, I don't feel they were deep enough to do any good.

I am using 30 lb braid on both. Then I used a 2 ft wire leader to protect against blues, then the lure. On the umbrella, I clipped it right to the swivel on the main line.

Right/wrong? Tips? It seemed to work OK but I feel I can improve.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-