Author Topic: Fluke rigs  (Read 3325 times)

Offline BAHILA / PCramer6

Fluke rigs
« on: May 10, 2007, 09:57:56 AM »
I've heard that its better to have your line hit a 3 way swivel, 3' leader to your fluke hook then a 12" leader directly to your sinker off the other.  Doesnt this put the bait higher off the bottom?  What do you guys use?
BAHILA  23' CC Wellcraft Fisherman
225 Johnson 4-stroke
Fishing out of Manasquan Inlet

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
Re: Fluke rigs
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 09:59:55 AM »
I use one of each and see what works better that day then switch to it

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 10:22:07 AM »
spro jig, tiped with a bait, then a leading connecting from the spro to another hook with a strip bait.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 10:23:47 AM »
Hi PC,

Although I use a fishfinder rig for almost all my fishing, the three swivel has a place, especially if working hardcore structure.

Make sure to use real light leader on the dropper to your weight (Like 6 lb. test). It is meant to break off when stuck. I use only 6" of line and I know the bait stays on the bottom as we have done dives to check it out.

That being said, being that weight is expensive these days, I try everything in my power to lose the hook and not the weight! I think the rig has a place but I do not want to sacrifice the weight that easily. Just my $.02!

Thanks,

Capt. Ed

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 02:00:19 PM »
I too will use a 6" only drop for the sinker on a fishfinder rig.  I think it puts the bait more in the line of sight for fluke.  Let us not forget, both his eyes are on top of his face and he therefore is always looking up. 

I use a variety of rigs. 
On most of the rigs where I use a jig for weight I will also use a teaser. 

One type of rig I use = I attach a snap swivel with a polomar knot on the running line, which is braid.  I take 20-30# leader material, depending on the area I am fishing and put a dropper loop in it.  I attach the leader by putting the dropper loop on the snap swivel on the running line.  On the long end of the leader I snell a hook with a hair on it.  To the short end of the leader I will attach some type of weighted jig, be it a spro, cannon ball or smiley face.  I don't seem to get tangled as much with this set up as with others.  Strip bait goes on both hooks and usually a spearing goes on the hook at the long end of the leader.

Very seldom do I use a three way swivel because I think the fluke can feel the weight too readily when it picks up the bait.  But that's just me.  I know others who have great success with it.  t^

Joe
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline robsrodnreel

• Robs Rod n Reel
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 05:35:34 PM »
what brand and size of hooks do you guys use for your fluke rigs?

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 07:50:26 PM »
I usually use a 3/0 or 4/0 hook.  Depends on the bait as to the type hook.  Mustad gold or silver wide gap or Gamakatsu octopus hook.

Joe
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-