Author Topic: Making your own Bucktails-top coat does not last-any suggestions  (Read 1370 times)

Offline rossg

Making your own Bucktails-top coat does not last-any suggestions
« on: November 11, 2008, 07:49:12 AM »
Last winter I painted my own bucktails and tied them for fluking offshore this summer. Very successful when paired up with a teaser 1 foot up.
The problem is that we fish a lot of rocks and structure and the bottom of the bucktails did not stand up to the pounding on the rocks.We coat the jigs with epoxy after painting. Any tips that will make the jig stronger?

Ross
The Lady J
Belmar

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: Making your own Bucktails-top coat does not last-any suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 08:41:06 AM »
Hi rossg,

I have not tried making my own jigs but a number of guys here have with success.  From what I gather they use powder paint that is heated and then applied to form a hard surface.

Here is something I found that might help.

http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/catalogue-index/catalogue-items/real_pros_heat__dip_powder_paint.htm

It is worth a try I guess...

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 09:06:24 AM »
the paint is gonna chip off no matter what you use when you fish stick bottom ,I tie alot of my own and find that it comes off but not as fast as it does on a spro jig .I tried power but dont like it.I spray and then put 3 coats of to coat on it .they make stuff for the top coat but it is to much money for me ,I lose a couple hundred a year so it isnt worth the money

Offline rossg

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 07:18:48 AM »
Well it seems that im just going to repaint and epoxy the ones that chip off. Catfish what are you using for a top coat? I hate the smell of the epoxy.I wear a mask  when im working with it.  What about those no fume poly that they put on floors
Ross
The Lady J
Belmar

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-