Author Topic: THOUGHTS ON WEAKFISH:  (Read 3755 times)

Offline CAPT. JOHN K.

THOUGHTS ON WEAKFISH:
« on: May 17, 2007, 03:41:40 PM »

I know that they haven't been caught in any great numbers yet, but,I just wanted to remind you guys that those big fat Tiderunners are spawning fish. Nice to catch but not really good table fare. Take a picture of the fish and release it to spawn so we can preserve the fishery. Every time I see someone bring home one of those 10-12# fish I see millions of fish we will never have a chance to catch. It's bad enough that the fry have the odds stacked against them to begin with considering all the other predators out to get them, we don't have to add another obstacle to their survival.
A picture is worth a thousand words, and lasts a lot longer than the fish you brought home to boast over for a few hours.

Capt John K.
"Fishing," as close to heaven as I'll ever get!

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: THOUGHTS ON WEAKFISH:
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 03:55:59 PM »
Not that I look down at anyone that wants to eat their catch.  But I totally agree with you and I know many others that do also.

Capt Mike from Mikes Marina won't give reports on where to catch Weak fish.

Offline bowguide

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 05:53:26 PM »
How true Capt John ,we also need to do that with those big stipers so that we continue to enjoy them year after year.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 06:26:18 PM »
Catch and release has been my game plan for the past several years now, that is why I always carry a camera with me when I go to the beach.  Unfortunately my wife has been bitten by the picture bug and this last time the camera was off on a walk with her so no pictures.  But I do like to paint them here is an example;

A weakie will be done some time this summer.  I plan to do a series of fish pictures so enjoy...

Paul
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 06:29:34 PM by ped579 »
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 10:42:31 PM »
Big Breeder Tiderunners are around, but where are the smaller fish? Not in large numbers as there should be.What has happened to previous year classes? Awnsers and speculations are numerous.Photos last more than a lifetime, I'll only keep a big one if it gets me into the Dream Boat Challange, or some other prize reaping contest.<'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 12:27:59 AM »
Hi Capt. John,

Excellent point!

Best wishes,

Capt. Ed

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-